is this make trustable for proving something is dead

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hiInterested in this instrument to carry out one of the safe isolation procedures, that is proving a circuit is dead.

spotted this on ebay and just wondered if its a reputable make or

if anyone has had them before and could share their views on it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLUKE-T50-UK-VOLTAGE-CONTINUITY-TESTER_W0QQitemZ330402115491QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item4ced802fa3

or am i better off getting a martindale one from here

http://www.martindale-electric.co.uk/index.php?products_id=295

thanks
Both will do the job.

both are reasonable.

its just a question of your personal preferences & how deep your pockets are?

As someone else also suggested..

Have a check around the local wholesalers, sometimes they have offers on particular brands.. you may get a better deal.

;)

I still can't get my head round why you want to even consider such a crude instrument that only indicates voltage bands, and is really only any good for proving live or dead.I don't own such a thing, always using a proper volt meter to measure the actual voltage present with a much greater degree of certainty.

For a much more versatile instrument, for about that price I bought a clamp on AC / DC ammeter that also reads proper AC and DC volts, and resistance in ohms, on a 31/2 digit display.
A "Proper volt meter" or "Multi function meter" is lacking a few fail-safe options that an "Approved Voltage" detector,

(or crude instrument as you call it), has... lets consider the pros & cons, especially the situation where fault finding an unknown circuit:-

1/ How many test leads do you need to put across the conductors to get a reading?

Volt Meter (or MF tester): Normal 2.. need a neutral or earth reference.

Approved Voltage detector: A voltage presence indication can be read with only one probe connected to live!

Its not uncommon whilst testing older lighting circuits with no CPC, or a modern light circuit with a broken CPC,

that the single switch lives have no 'N' or 'E' to reference to!

2/ How can you quickly check your display is still working?

Volt Meter (or MF tester): without having a known reference voltage handy it is difficult to prove your LCD voltage display hasn't failed part way though your investigations.

Approved Voltage Detector: Most have a built in test button that illuminates all of you LED's to verify they are all still working..

can be pressed each and every time before use quick & easy! (and safe;))

3/ What happens when the batteries get low or die?

Volt Meter (or MF tester): Most meters need working batteries to give a voltage indication!

Approved Voltage Detector: a reasonable spec tester will still be able to illuminate a warning LED with Low batteries or NO BATTERIES in when testing between a live & Neutral. (bit more fail safe;))

4/ What are the chances of the tester accidental tripping an RCD if you stick it across live circuit?

Volt Meter (or MF tester): If using an earth as a reference point cuz no 'N' available, some meters will trip an RCD when reading a voltage between L & E!

Approved Voltage Detector: NO as a general rule they don't trip RCD's!

Volt Meter (or MF tester) - VS - Approved Voltage Detector:

They both have their particular uses in specific applications,

in some situations one is safer than another?

IMHO a good electrician will have both bits of kit available for use in his toolbox! :D ;)

put the kettle on

Do either of these units have fused leads?

The Fluke unit I have, is like the other link, but doesn't have the screen or the Amp Clamp facility.

Both probes can be removed and fused probes or Croc clips can be attached instead.

I like the Fluke stuff, as everything seems to be interchangeable. The probes off of my voltage tester will fit my multimeter.

i use amongst other fluke testers, the martindale andy linked to, it is very handy when induced voltages are about which will confuse my T5 and MFT but not the martindale!

You would require one of these monitors to prove something was certainly dead

vsm.jpg

(on topic far too long.............)

]:)

Neat, but.One of the advantages of using my clamp meter as a volt meter, is the current clamp jaws are a handy thing to hang the meter from something, even when not using them to measure current. Something you can't do with an open jaw current meter.

I'm not trying to say the instruments being discussed are no good, just unnecessary.

Nobody in their right mind would surely consider working as an electrician without a full function multimeter capable of making accurate measurements of voltage, current and resistance. If you have that, you have the means to test for dead.

Buying a separate, dedicated "test for dead" instrument to me is simply a waste of money, something else to buy, maintain, carry on to site and risk breaking or loosing, and at the first hint of doubt, if it gives an ambiguous reading, you would be running to the van for the proper volt meter to make sure.

I prefer to just use one multi function instrument, rather than lots of individual dedicated testers.
Sorry to ressurect the thread (apache`s monitor works.... ;) )

Saw this as a question on the written 2330 level 3 in the downloads section:

30. State; with respect to Safe Isolation, TWO reasons for each of the following:

a) Re-checking a voltage indicator after proving a circuit