I've heart it all now. A dish in the loft....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a call today:

"I've just installed a satellite dish, but I can't get a signal, could you come and align it?"

So I start asking where it is, so I know whether to take the long or short set of ladders.

"oh you won't need your ladders, it's in the loft"

headbang

Lol 128 degrees SSE and removal of LOS obstructions!!!! : headbang

There was an April fool stunt pulled by one prankster years ago;

advertised that a dustbin lid could be converted to a satellite dish

for a small fee, but that those with rubber lids need not apply.

I saw the queue outside an address...all with galvanised dustbin lids.

A friend of mine is a tv/freesat/sky engineer and he went on a callout to a house where they werent getting a sky signal at night so he promptly went to round to investigate.....upon intitial talks with the customer he discovered the sky dish was in the spare room mounted to a internal wall this was because the owners did not want an "ugly sky dish" mounted to the outside of the house and that room was not being used! which is very odd but each to there own! so after doing the usual checks (terminations etc..) he had another chat with the customer to find out any more info and low and behold the sky signal vanished when they closed the curtains in the bedroom!!!!!!!! Some people are just put on this planet for our entertainment

A friend of mine is a tv/freesat/sky engineer and he went on a callout to a house where they werent getting a sky signal at night so he promptly went to round to investigate.....upon intitial talks with the customer he discovered the sky dish was in the spare room mounted to a internal wall this was because the owners did not want an "ugly sky dish" mounted to the outside of the house and that room was not being used! which is very odd but each to there own! so after doing the usual checks (terminations etc..) he had another chat with the customer to find out any more info and low and behold the sky signal vanished when they closed the curtains in the bedroom!!!!!!!! Some people are just put on this planet for our entertainment
:slap another brilliant comment excellent......

Well I actually went to this house last week.

It turns out it was built as a house, started in 1995 as a self build. So all the structure is complete, upstairs and downstairs windows.

but only the downstairs is complete inside and they are living in it as a bungalow. Upstairs is only accessed by a ladder and is not properly boarded. The dish was screwed to a table in front of the window. I managed to get a signal with the window open but the signal was lost when you closed the window.

So I put the dish on the outside.

But the silly bu99ers at Maplin sold him a Zone 1 dish. You will know we use the larger Zone 2 dishes up here. It seems to work okay, but I warned him it might not have much rain margin.