JIB regestering posssible problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoss

Reaction score
Struggling for work, and not being JIB has prevented me finding work on a few contracts (sewerage facilities).

I have spoke to the JIB ( I didn't find them uselful, just kept going on about the need to do the safety course, couldn't advise any further) and have the forms, but it isn't straightforward for these reasons;

I did an Apprenticeship with British Rail, it was under the EITB (Engineering. rather than construction) and seems to have lead to some odd, put together for the railway, C&G courses. It's almost like they wanted to make it hard for us to leave at the time.

Additionally, I have been self employed for the last six years and whilst I am reasonably sure I can get the 'has worked here and met our standards' bit signed, I am not sure anyone will care enough want to write a detailed reference.

On the positve, I have 2391, and 17th editions, NVQ3 (engineering though), and BTEC national (also engineering)

Has anyone from a similar background taken on the JIB?

I was registered as an apprentice with JIB 1000 yrs ago but still keep my card as a self employed electrician.

I suggest you apply for their ECS card ( Electrotechnical Certification Scheme) but you will have to do the CSCS safety course as they wont issue without it. I've just renewed mine . The safety test is easy , costs

How often do u have to renew it?

As i have had all my nvq level 3 paper work through now which means i can get a JIB card, but u dont have to do this safety course if u have done level 3 nvq am i right?

But doing the nvq do u still have to renew and do the safety course?

Thru the SJIB (which should work the same way as the JIB), those just thru their apprenticeship do not have to do a health and safety course for the first 5 yrs (if my mind serves me right).

However to keep your card in date you have to renew every 3 yrs, and do health and safety every 3 yrs.

I've just renewed mine, done my health and safety at my old work place, cost

Well me doing my nvq 3 at college means i dont have to do the h&s test 1st time around as the nvq has elements of h&s.

I was registered as an apprentice with JIB 1000 yrs ago but still keep my card as a self employed electrician.I suggest you apply for their ECS card ( Electrotechnical Certification Scheme) but you will have to do the CSCS safety course as they wont issue without it. I've just renewed mine . The safety test is easy , costs

Just had a look at that- the only reason I mention JIB is becasue the only work around here is through agencies, and that's what they are asking for,