Just done the C & G 2330 Level 2 & 3 - What next, any advise please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soc

Reaction score
Hi All

Need some advise from anyone who can help? Just done my C & G 2330 level 2 & 3 and also sat the ECS health & Safety assessment and passed (through OLCI at a cost of around 6k in total, money well spent? Not sure). I am trying to get some on site/work experience so I can work towards my NVQ level 3. My god, its so hard to get a job as an electricians mate/improver. Is this what other people are experiencing?

All recruitment agencies require an ECS card but they will not issue one with the qualifications I have unless I am employed within a company. The only Card they will issue me is a Laborer, is this what other people in my position have experienced. So what do I do? I was under the impression that there is currently a shortage of qualified sparkies in the UK of 37 thousand with only 1500 qualifying each year! I have financed my self through this so why can't the government help me a bit!!! Is this bull regarding the figures of sparkies needed in the UK?

Have the eastern Europeans really taken up the vacancies? I hear various stories.

So if anyone can help with some advise or Part time work (South Wales area) to get me started I would really appreciate it.

Your comments on this topic appreciated.

Cheers

Soc

headbang

I have done the same course as you, 2330 level 2 and 3 but over a two yr period at a cost of

Its not a problem Rob, a few people on here have helped Me through hard times (Admin, M107 especially). I am going to quote for rewiring 2 kitchens next door to eachother on Monday, its not alot but helps pay back some cash I owe to people.

PS I HATE owing people cash. :p :x

AndyGuiness Drink

Hi Andy, and thanks for your quick posting and advise.

I am currently working within retail so I have a wage coming in. I started with OLCI a year ago and just finished. I am in my late thirties. I am now looking to get some experience, but reading a number of messages on this site, it is very difficult to even work for free! I even looked into working in London for the Olympics - but no one is recruiting yet? I was also told by one agency which is based in london said that they are currently training up Polish sparkies in Poland to British standards and then brining them over at a much reduced hourly rate to uk workers - this ****ed me off! No wonder this country is going to the dogs, don't we ever learn - Invest in the work force!

Welcome Soc :D Another Welshie in our mitts

I do have a nasty nasty feeling that these training companies over-estimate any shortfall there may be to get your money :(

You will always have problems with cheap immigrant labour but the weak pound does help a little (they have taken a big pay cut, in effect). This country has done well using immigrant labour for some of the crappy jobs! All immigration isn't bad (Zee will be an immigrant when he goes to Canada!).

My personal feeling is that the 'credit crunch' (hate that term - sounds like breakfast cereal) is the reason many people are feeling the pinch, nowt to do with immigration. Give the poles a break! Things will pick up and getting a bit of experience now will stand you in good stead when they do.

All I can do is wish you luck :D We are very helpful on here and any problems you have feel free to share (even if not electrically related ;) ). There is no bitching or riddicule here.

:D

Welcome Soc :D Another Welshie in our mittsI do have a nasty nasty feeling that these training companies over-estimate any shortfall there may be to get your money :(

You will always have problems with cheap immigrant labour but the weak pound does help a little (they have taken a big pay cut, in effect). This country has done well using immigrant labour for some of the crappy jobs! All immigration isn't bad (Zee will be an immigrant when he goes to Canada!).

My personal feeling is that the 'credit crunch' (hate that term - sounds like breakfast cereal) is the reason many people are feeling the pinch, nowt to do with immigration. Give the poles a break! Things will pick up and getting a bit of experience now will stand you in good stead when they do.

All I can do is wish you luck :D We are very helpful on here and any problems you have feel free to share (even if not electrically related ;) ). There is no bitching or riddicule here.

:D
which sort do you prefer patch.

CreditCrunchies.jpg

or these

Credit_Crunchies_1.jpg

ROTFWL :D

To the OP its hard but you cant give up on finding some work as an opportunity could always be around the corner.

hi all

At the moment I do not work in the trade but would like to get qualified, Need some advise, I have 2360 part 1, am thinking of taking the 2330 level 3, and then trying to find work so i can take my nvq3,,, but by the sounds of it work is not easy to get,,, would it be better for me to maybe take part p and then 17th edition, really stuck in what i should do?

Hia pancake welcome to the forum. A few details for you to think about:

I am not 100% sure you can pick up on the 2330 L3 from the old 236 Part 1

Also, if you do do the level 3, then you wont need to do Part P as its all within the course.

The 17th Ed isnt the hardest course in the world, but it is still very worth doing.

AndyGuiness Drink

ive done my 2330 2 and 3 and have got my 17th edition aswell. everyone is in the same boat at the moment. im just going to go the route of getting a van (have now purchased!) getting a megger(have now purchased!) tools(some of!) getting registered with a scheme and doing some house bashing and with abit of adivce from a fully qualified mates, books and forums like these i should be able to do it!! .ill be working most weekends but its the only way i can see that im going to be able to get into this industry at the moment. its hard for everyone its survival of the fittest.

I am eastern european living here in Uk. I am here to gain experience and soon will be gone. If u go to live to foreign country you find it difficult. A lot of prejudice.

I have just read a report in a paper that said about 94,000 people have just have applied and are training to become sparkies and the biggest problem is that the big firms will not use you unless you have done an apprenticeship. Doing a training course does not give a true perspective of what real electrical work conditions are really like. It is totally different to the olci brochure.

Steering back towards CSCS cards...

I have one, classified as general operative (labourer).

Never had any problems with it.

hi :)

Im in the same boat as you really just come out of a four year apprenticeship and got 2330 level 2 +3 also 17th however applied for loads of jobs and sent loads of cvs out still no joys its the same everywhere. everyone wants an "experianced " electrician but how are you supposed to gain it if no one will give you a chance ???? :-( Im looking at going self employed now and think this is the best route for you too :) good luck with everything

danielle

As Danielle says, seems self employed is the way forward these days. minimises the risks for the employer

hi :)Im in the same boat as you really just come out of a four year apprenticeship and got 2330 level 2 +3 also 17th however applied for loads of jobs and sent loads of cvs out still no joys its the same everywhere. everyone wants an "experianced " electrician but how are you supposed to gain it if no one will give you a chance ???? :-( Im looking at going self employed now and think this is the best route for you too :) good luck with everything

danielle
???

if you did an apprenticeship, didn't you get some hands on experience and complete your nvq's at the same time, your more than half way there

myself no actual experience (expect for the practical workshop at college)

which i've got 1 more year left and i cant wait to get level 3 over with, not getting any younger :)

in the mean time Looking for some hands on experience paid or unpaid and still nowhere since i started almost 2 years ago

Are you willing to relocate? Ive seen some apprentices required on some sites like ROK and network rail or what about national grid. Also don't worry about the age thing my husband is 29 and just finished his plumbing qualifications and now being taken on as a trainee gas engineer and its taken him 2 years to find it you just have to keep trying :) Also I was trying for a year before being taken on and I sent over 200 C.Vs with self addressed envelopes and got no replys ; -(

Here are some websites you can look on you might have to google them, upload your c.v for potential employers and you get relevent job emails everyday:

monster, cv library , job site, career builder , myelectrical jobs , my work search, reed , total jobs and jobs group. net.

Ive been hunting for the past 3 weeks now and I applied for anything and everything with electrician in it regardless of qualifications they want most of them write back and say "your not suitable but we will keep your details on file " but its worth a try Ive been offerd two interviews this week but have applied for 100's lol . Have you thought of trying for a labouring job with a large company and then putting your name down on their internal job pool so at least then youll have more of a chance. I also went through the yellow pages and phoned every electrician up and forwarded c.vs onto them.

I hope this helps and everything goes alright for you

Danni :)

I am eastern european living here in Uk. I am here to gain experience and soon will be gone. If u go to live to foreign country you find it difficult. A lot of prejudice.
Vlad I have absolutely no problem with 'outsiders' coming here to work, a lot of english people did it in germany a few years back, how the hypocrisy has a short memory.

myself, I have worked in a lot of countries and never a problem, until I came to england and all the BS about being a foreigner simply because the english expect

Latest posts