Keeping chickens

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"My Pictures" covers everything Mate - Not just electrical.

My work is top standard too, chum. :)

Ive got chickens, well my missus has, shes got 6 along with an orse.

The chickens live in a converted stable so they are shut in at night but during the day they can get out in the chicken fenced pens. Chickens feel safer high up like they are in a tree or something. If they are happy they will lay better.

What we did though, is to place heavy paving slabs around the pen to stop foxes and rats digging in. Rats will sometimes take the eggs as well.

As for food, we feed the usual maize and corn etc but for treats we will give them raisins or grapes, they absolutely love them. You can give them veg peelings but not potatoes. and dont give them bread. The variety of food can enhance the flavour of the eggs.

We also often put lumps of turf in the pens cos they love scraping about trying to find something.. They can make a right mess of your garden scraping away like this.

We have also had the previous set of chickens stolen. People will nick anything

Stolen chickens??? crazy world. why cant you feed them bread? Ive been told that they love "scraps" thought that meant anything we had left on our plates??? dnt want to give them anything they shouldnt have!!

just about to buy that pen off ebay the nice one above :)

Stolen chickens??? crazy world. why cant you feed them bread? Ive been told that they love "scraps" thought that meant anything we had left on our plates??? dnt want to give them anything they shouldnt have!!just about to buy that pen off ebay the nice one above :)
just summot our lass just told me, but shes gone out now so can't ask her.

It may be that as with all birds, feeding them bread, fills them up, but doesnt give them a lot of nutrition

Stolen chickens??? crazy world. why cant you feed them bread? Ive been told that they love "scraps" thought that meant anything we had left on our plates??? dnt want to give them anything they shouldnt have!!
Bread is fine but not too much. Mine get cooked potatoes and no problems.

Chickens will eat anything left on your plate. A neighbour feeds her chickens left over chicken Korma!

They are naturally omnivorous! Feeding them meat isn't wrong.

Thanks for all the info, think im prepared to take on the hens, im going for 4 now though lol

Thanks for all the info, think im prepared to take on the hens, im going for 4 now though lol
Did you win the run?

Got feed? Something to feed it from? Something to provide them water? Some bedding?

Did you win the run?Got feed? Something to feed it from? Something to provide them water? Some bedding?
not got feed yet, was going to scatter it in everyday rather than put in a bowl. was going to put water in a little dish.... is this ok? as for bedding was going to use straw? any tips much appreciated ;)

not got feed yet, was going to scatter it in everyday rather than put in a bowl. was going to put water in a little dish.... is this ok? as for bedding was going to use straw? any tips much appreciated ;)
You want to look at getting some feed and water hoppers. The galv steel are much better than plastic but much more money!

If you scatter feed don't overfeed them - or you'll attract vermin and grow wheat all around the garden!

thanks for all the advice mate, chicken coop should arrive within next few days, really looking forward to having a few chickens

:D :D:D:D:D

One more question for you chaps, do you think its a good idea to put a fake egg in the chicken coup to encourage laying??

My old boss said he uses one

Brad

Got 2 hens today :D they are 17 weeks old. the chap I got them off told me if I find eggs and I dont know how old they are, the test is to put them in water, if they sink they are ok but if they float they are too old. just set up their boxes with some straw and going to get them some layers pellets tomorrow :D

Got 2 hens today :D they are 17 weeks old. the chap I got them off told me if I find eggs and I dont know how old they are, the test is to put them in water, if they sink they are ok but if they float they are too old. just set up their boxes with some straw and going to get them some layers pellets tomorrow :D
Good man! The egg tip is right but you shouldn't need to use it! Collect them every day. The pot eggs sink too ;)

BTW eggs are porous and if you need to clean them don't wet them. Use a dry nylon scouring pad to remove anything. You can wash them in water only (no chemicals) but you must use them straight away.

A bit of chicken poo will do you no harm ;)

Good man! The egg tip is right but you shouldn't need to use it! Collect them every day. The pot eggs sink too ;) BTW eggs are porous and if you need to clean them don't wet them. Use a dry nylon scouring pad to remove anything. You can wash them in water only (no chemicals) but you must use them straight away.

A bit of chicken poo will do you no harm ;)
Can you get such thing as dry water then Patch? ?:| or am i just reading it wrong? :z

Can you get such thing as dry water then Patch? ?:| or am i just reading it wrong? :z
IF you wash them (say you want to eat them as soft boiled with the shell on and don't want a bit of chicken poo on the egg) use it straight away!

ie don't collect the eggs and wash them then store them. Read what I typed again!

:D

Come on then Brad - I am waiting for the pics Man. :)

PS - I had a little chuckle at the "Fake Egg" - 'Add to basket'.

Come on then Brad - I am waiting for the pics Man. :) PS - I had a little chuckle at the "Fake Egg" - 'Add to basket'.
Glad you picked up on that one mate ;) thought it had gone unoticed lol

ok here are the chickens -

Photo-0308.jpg

Photo-0309.jpg

Photo-0310.jpg

Photo-0311.jpg