Kitchen Fan Isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan Bennett

Reaction score
I'm just returning to the trade following a happy hiatus of some 15 years.

I've just sat and passed my 17th Edition course and H&S. Now I have to get back to reality.

I'm pricing a job to install an extractor fan in a kitchen roof. Am I right in assuming that (as I would have done years ago)I can take a spur off the existing lighting circuit supply to a cord-pull switch, and that I don't have to install a fused spur unit somewhere before the cord-pull. The circuit is protected by a 6amp MCB, but there is no RCD protection.

Also, if my assumption is wrong, can someone please point me to the section of the 17th that covers it? I've spent an hour trawling through the pages already :C

Thanks again.

Dunc

No, no timer. There's a window in the kitchen. The lady likes to make soup and wants manual control of it, so there will be no direct feed; just the switched feed.

Duncan,You won't find it in BS7671, it'll be in the manufacturers instructions if anywhere.
Yes you will...

It's reg 134.1.1 that states that the manufactures instruction must be followed...

Thus it must be fused!

I'm just returning to the trade following a happy hiatus of some 15 years.I've just sat and passed my 17th Edition course and H&S. Now I have to get back to reality.

I'm pricing a job to install an extractor fan in a kitchen roof. Am I right in assuming that (as I would have done years ago)I can take a spur off the existing lighting circuit supply to a cord-pull switch, and that I don't have to install a fused spur unit somewhere before the cord-pull. The circuit is protected by a 6amp MCB, but there is no RCD protection.

Also, if my assumption is wrong, can someone please point me to the section of the 17th that covers it? I've spent an hour trawling through the pages already :C

Thanks again.

Dunc
I am guessing your manufactures instruction state something like...

It should be connected by a isolation device with 2mm or 3mm contact gap & protected by a 3A fuse!!.

I don't recall seeing a fan that the manufactures say it can go direct onto a circuit without isolator or fuse.

So its reg 134.1.1 page 24!!

Duncan,You won't find it in BS7671, it'll be in the manufacturers instructions if anywhere.
Yes you will...It's reg 134.1.1 that states that the manufactures instruction must be followed...

Thus it must be fused!
But 134.1.1 does not say that it must be fused, it only says that manufacturers instructions must be followed,,,,,, which is effectively what I was saying

Manufacturers instructions will have to be adhered to. This will cover your backside if anything goes wrong. I had this out with my assesser today. The instructions could also say that it must be fitted on a circuit protected by an RCD.