Knowledge question that I've searched everywhere for the answers.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFeely88

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping one of you can point me in the right direction here.

The question is

What is the meaning of the different symbols, notations and abbreviations found on the drawings used for services?For example: electricity, water, gas, fuel oil, compressed aire, steam, pressure and flow characteristics.
I've been searching for hours on Google and can't find anything whatsoever to help me. All I've got so far is

That is a strangely worded question in that paper no wonder you are struggling so am I.

I would have thought that there would be a legend on the drawing for abbreviations used.

Are we reading too much into the question, is it just looking for something along the line of: Symbols, notations and abbreviations are used in drawings in order to define and identify type of equipment, positions and cable and pipe runs for an installation.

How many points is the question worth?

As it could be a very long list if they are after specifics.

That Diamond shape you refered to is the sign they put on vehicles, when they carry gas bottles on a regular basis.

That is a strangely worded question in that paper no wonder you are struggling so am I.I would have thought that there would be a legend on the drawing for abbreviations used.

Are we reading too much into the question, is it just looking for something along the line of: Symbols, notations and abbreviations are used in drawings in order to define and identify type of equipment, positions and cable and pipe runs for an installation.

How many points is the question worth?

As it could be a very long list if they are after specifics.
It's just a general knowledge question as part of my unit, "Installing Electrical/Electronic Equipment", so as long as I have a half decent answer then it doesn't have to go into specifics. It is strangely worded though, I've reread it a few times already. Thing is, I don't actually have a drawing, and if I search for things like 'electrical symbols used for services' it comes up with irrelevant companies offering electrical services ?:| . Thanks for the reply.

That Diamond shape you refered to is the sign they put on vehicles, when they carry gas bottles on a regular basis.
Ah, so it isn't the same symbol used on drawings then? Back to square one haha. Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't have to be on a regular basis - It is on the basis that they are carrying Gas Bottles.