L.E.Ds.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave2

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to provide these to stairs?

Been asked to quote for 3 flights of stairs with 2 LEDs per stair!

Customer is providing all materials.

Any advice/tips on the best way to do the job would be appreciated.

Dave

We have fitted quite a few recently. One job we fitted decking lights in the wall up the stairs. They give of hardly any light, just an effect.

Another job we fitted 1w, single led walkover lights (about 30 mm dia) to every other tread. That gave a fantastic light . The customer reported they turn all the lights off at night when watching Tv as the stair lights dimly illuminate the whole house (and only about 20w). I think we used Collingwood lights.

Any advice/tips on the best way to do the job would be appreciated.

Dave

Surely someone read this bit of the ops post, dont you want to share this bit lads, i suppose there are issues with safe zones ect on this one,i would like to hear your thoughts on this too.

Putting these in cabinets is one thing but i have never been asked to install in stairs either.

Give it up guys!! please:x;) :)

The customer is providing all the lighting for this particular job so i am unaware as to what he is using.

I am trying to rig up a quote and was wondering about the best cabling method to use on an open plan staircase.

Dave

Wired led lights in walls on three flights of stairs in a new house about 3 years ago. Fairly straight forward as cables where run down cavity walls they where wired in parallel rather than series though.

batty

i've done this quite a few times

difficult to give definate suggestions for every situation but the last time went along the lines of....

to fit 20mm round led lights into the triangle wooden part so lamps light across the stairtread.

20mm hole cutter through wood, small half inch chase into plaster above to feed l/v cables though(you'll find a one inch gap behind wood)

do this as and where lamps required bringing all the cables up to the landing,

dropped cables in surface trunking down inside cupboard understairs to socket (for transformer) fed from cu (also understairs)via sfu rated at 3A

1.0mm twin and earth from sfu to original double switch in hall, changed to triple switch, single switch upstairs changed to double, 3core for two way switching between switches

make sure sockets labelled at 3A max and not suitable for general use.

ive seen these done with sfu understairs for switching but if possible it makes the job look far more professional if switched along with landing and hall lights

i've also had these lamps fail which is a nightmare, so dont for a second think they last forever

repairs can be made by removing lamp and carefully crimping a new lamp on snipped cable