lamps blowing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyboy 68

Reaction score
hi all,

going to look at a job tomorrow. The homeowner stated that they had their consumer unit replaced about 3 months ago. All ok for a while but now he is having to replace lamps on a regular basis. I covered the obvious and asked whether he has been shopping in 'poundland' but he has said that the lamps have been purchased from various outlets. I stated that i would like to see the EIC and am very relieved that there is one .. helpfully.. he has e-mailed me a copy of it. Looking at it, continuity, Insulation resistance, polarity etc all comply with BS7671 .. Until I attend and take my own tests ..Any of you kind gentlemen give me any pointers as to the possible cause's for this ... cheers in advance lads .... :C

Cheap lamps bought from various outlets....

Poundland, Wilkinsons, Home Bargain, Aldi, Tesco's, Sainsuby's etc.. etc..

Not all cheap quality bulbs come from poundland..

also any lamps that came with a new light fitting are usually cheapo quality..

Unless you are cranking up the supply voltage with a private generator...

there is not normally a lot on a CU that can cause lamps to blow..

Think if you WANTED to cause lamps to blow, what seriously can you do at the CU to achieve this result?

As Andy says lose connection causing repeated flickering may reduce lamp life..

but I think they would also have noticed flickering not just blowing?

Keep a LOGICAL approach, CU change 3 months ago is most probably a red herring.

:|

probably as much related as the fact that the weather has also got colder since the CU was changed! :eek:

Mrs Householder :- Well Mr Sparks here,s a slap in the face !!!!! :eek:

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

What sort of lamps are they ?