Touch Lamp sensor/control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy W

Reaction score
Hello all, i have this little bedside touch lamp that the sensor in the bottom has stopped working.
This control seems to have 5 terminals - any replacement i`ve found have a standard of 4,

Any way around this or is there a 5 way item out there somewhere?

IMG_20230528_141506353.jpg

The two brown wires can be connected externally and to the single live input, (often brown) of the four lead version of the switch, BUT, (and it's a serious BUT!) the whole thing is double insulated and relies on this for safety.
All connections which you make must be solidly made, - I would recommend crimps so they can't pull apart, or soldered, then insulated with two layers of heat shrink sleeving. Strictly no choc block terminals and no insulation tape!
If you compromise on the insulation you can easily make your lamp lethal

the outside brown and red look like they go to the lamp the yellow is the touch wire and inside brown and blue look like the feed in to the switch, so more likely the bule and red should go together,

just fit a new 4 wire one and follow the instructions that come with it, and don't worry about the old units connections,
I would recommend crimps so they can't pull apart, or soldered, then insulated with two layers of heat shrink sleeving. Strictly no choc block terminals and no insulation tape!
If you compromise on the insulation you can easily make your lamp lethal

but like Geoff says make sure that any connections cant pull apart, and no tape of any kind!

Have you proved that the sensor is actually faulty...
And its not just you are trying to work it with an LED lamp..
Which typically don't tend to work with these touch dimmers?

They do work with LED lamps but they have to be a dimmable version.

But with some makes, not with ALL dimmable LED's...

Some need a minimum power rating, similar to traditional manual dimmer switches,
e.g 25watt... which, for example, a 7watt LED does not correctly work...

My son has a pair of them as bedside lamps in his house..
But his do NOT like LED lamps of any flavour!!!

Update: received this new sensor today, as a non-electrician the colour cables are a bit confusing, coming into my lamp are the normal Blue and Brown, the same going then on up to the bulb. Could you have a look at the pic and maybe give some guidance?

IMG_20230814_114543819.jpg

Brown of incoming flex to brown of switch unit
Brown of lamp to red of switch unit
All three remaining (blue) wires together
Black to the frame of the lamp - it's the touch sensor

Don't forget earlier warnings about insulation.
I'm not sure about those connectors in your picture. If I was doing it I would bin them and solder the connections. prior to heat shrinking.

thanks Geoff,
yes those connectors came with the unit, i can solder and heat shrink if you think it`s better.

Latest posts