Wiring an intermediate switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your help - this is the front without the face plate.
looks like i was right, it is a 2g2w switch used with a common switch. wire as i mentioned earlier. if it doesn't work, swap the wiring between L11 & L12
it will never work without links unless it has them internally but i don't think it has

looks like i was right, it is a 2g2w switch used with a common switch. wire as i mentioned earlier. if it doesn't work, swap the wiring between L11 & L12
it will never work without links unless it has them internally but i don't think it has
Thanks Andy - just to be clear I should wire as below but also add in a link to join L1(1) to L2(1) and also add in a link to join L1(2) to L2(2)?

Attachments

• New Intermediate 6 terminal.jpg
    New Intermediate 6 terminal.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 0
links are right, but swap the 2 blacks

you may get the links the wrong way, no idea which is which so just a guess, if it doesn't work, then swap L11 & L12

Link
L1-1 to L2-2
L1-2 to L2-1
Put a brown and black pair in L1 and L2
Put the other brown an black pair in with the links on L1-1 and L1-2
Put the earth into the earth terminal.

J

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help, after a few more hours of trial and error (with lots of running back and forth from the fuse box), I managed to find a combination that means all 3 switches work!

Picture below if anyone cares. Now to sort the backing boxWorking.jpg

Shorten those links so that they lay flat across the back of the switch.
I'm still concerned that the back box isn't deep enough for that switch. Take care not to crush wires against the box, especially the screws which may damage the insulation.

Glad you have sorted the wiring. That is a VERY unusual switch. And it is doubly poor if the manufacturer is selling that as an "intermediate" switch without any instructions how to connect it.

I hope you can get the wiring tidy and snug enough now to get it into that shallow back box.

looks like a two in, one out change over switch
It’s a dual two way switch mechanically linked so both switches work together from a single toggle. With the addition of a couple of links (see my earlier msg) the two 2 way / changeover switches can be made to function as an intermediate switch. The manufacturer should have included a diagram or pre linked it.

All electrical accessories sold in the UK should include clearly legible installation/wiring instructions..
AND all the relevant markings/logo's to confirm compliance with the applicable safety standards...
AND the manufactures contact details, including any relevant batch code numbers, should they be needed for any product recalls due to later defects found....

So NO paperwork does sound a bit worrying?

From all of the information given so far, I am increasingly confident that is is just some cheep Chinese tat, imported and sold on by person(s) of a dubious business nature, trying to gain as much money from unsuspecting third parties for as minimal outlay that they can achieve.

But of course I am always open to 'a.n.other' proving me wrong... :confused:(y)

Surely not...............

Caradok Ltd was established by a team of electrical designers and engineers with a shared passion; to make stunningly crafted architectural electrical products that are design classics. We look to create detailing to overlooked parts of your home. We have over 40 years’ experience in the electrical industry, we design and develop switches, sockets, indoor and outdoor lighting and other hardware that is understated but above all, built to last.

Today there is often far too many choices for every part of your home refurbishment and this can be extremely daunting. By contrast, we focus on classic designs that work both in a modern new build or in a listed period property. Our focus is entirely on building durable, classic products that are highly tactile. The weight and finish of each item we produce is checked and quality controlled, even down to the resonance each click of a toggle or switch makes.

This means we have total control over every product that leaves our warehouse, and our design team are always available to answer customer queries. If you, or your electrician or interior designer, has any questions please drop us an email or give us a call.

Clearly a team of real craftsmen checking out every item as its made.

Sniff........ Sniff................ yep................ no doubt about it............... thats BULLSH1T and no mistake.

Latest posts