lamps keep blowing/downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick182

Reaction score
hey guys..

just wondering what the problem might be.. Heres the scenario. Random lamps constantly keep blowing on 3 seperate floors on the same side of the building which are all wired onto their own mini CU on each floor. The brand of lights arethe Elco R.80 ES Adjustable Downlights rated between 40w to 100w in each room.

anyone have any suggestions? Im not a pro at this obviously but my logical approach to solve this problem would be to balance out the loads so i suggested to the person that maybe he should try and use 70w light bulbs instead of the 100w and perhaps install a dimmer switch instead so the load isnt used to its full capacity. Would i be correct in saying this?

id be surprised if i get the work but i think it would be nice to know for future reference..

thanks fellas

nah.. haha.. ive got to change that.. im in the Uk.
yet another reason we need some relevant info,

why did you need to change it? surely you must have set that to start with?

is this a single phase supply, or 2 or 3 phase?

or maybe even split phase?

I would say it's a combination of cheap lamps & vibration. R80, R63 & R50 lamps don't do well at the best of times but are even worse in rooms that have people walking on wooden floors above. Changing the wattages won't have any effect unless you change the lamps from tungsten to the energy efficient (fluorescent) alternative. You'll have no problems with these