Landing Light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BES

Reaction score
Hello

Quick question when doing a new build or rewire which lighting circuit do you usually feed landing light from up or down . I've always done it from downstairs so if upstairs lighting trips you have light at top of stairs and clearly stated this at consumer unit but mate of mine says other way round so mister diy doesn't come along and turn off upstairs circuit thinking because fitting is upstairs must be on upstairs circuit. Though my way was the norm . Just wondered what others do.

Being devils advocate......if you expand on your theory then you should also have a downstairs light fed off the upstairs circuit?

TBH I just wire them whichever way is more convenient.... you cannot safeguard against the numptie that comes in after you, so long as you've labeled the circuit correctly then you've done nothing wrong

Being devils advocate......if you expand on your theory then you should also have a downstairs light fed off the upstairs circuit?
My own house has 2 way switching from upstairs and downstairs on both the landing AND the hall light.

Just makes sense to me and I don't know why it's not done more often.  how many times have you gone up to bed and found you forgot to turn the hall light off?

Ta noz

Another reason I do it is you quite often have a have a two gang switch at bottom of stairs fed from downstairs circuit for hallway or whatever is at bottom of stairs and landing 2 way .Doing as I've always done you don't have two ciruits at one switch. Another reason I usually fit smoke on landing which I like to keep on same circuit as others if only smoke upstairs as rest downstairs are fed from downstairs lighting circuit.

My mate works for a company who mainly does new builds and says spec usually.says upstairs circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My own house has 2 way switching from upstairs and downstairs on both the landing AND the hall light.

Just makes sense to me and I don't know why it's not done more often.  how many times have you gone up to bed and found you forgot to turn the hall light off?
Same as me with addition of an intermediate by kitchen door as well.I would be more bothered about where the neutral came from!

Just saying

Always take loopin feed from downstairs circuit to landing light fitting then sw feed return to 1g 2w sw on landing then 3 core to.bottom stairs. This way I have line neutral for smoke feed at landing light .

I really don't think it matters as long as is not 415 volts. I generally put a switch upstairs  to switch downstairs lights on for the additional cost of a bit of three core its a nice touch.

As I've said when doing rewire most cutomers want smokes fitted on landing and no more upstairs but with more downstairs kitchen etc which I feed from downstairs lights so fitting landing light the way I do it keeps all smokes/heats on one circuit. I have done it other way if job requires and agree what you all have said but been out the game for nearly a year due to spine being refurbed returning soon and have rewire to do which will be used to get reassesed for scam and when mate mentioned just wondered what others do.

I fit a dedicated circuit for smokes if you read the smoke instructions certain lighting cannot be used on smoke detector circuits even if that lighting is not on the circuit when you fit it it may be at some time in the life of that circuit.

Also you should be linking all the smokes together, as for customers specifying only 1 smoke on the landing :shakehead you need to fit what is required by regs - 3m from bedroom doors or ?? db at headboard

Always do upstairs lights on upstairs circuit, downstairs lights on downstairs circuit, if more than one circuit in switch then label inside saying more than one circuit present. Its the consumer you need to think of, upstairs means upstairs to them, so downstairs does not include upstairs to them.

If the switch is messed around with you would hope its an electrician who knows what he's doing, if not the label should explain.

Noz

What I ment about most customers only want one smoke on landing is what most 2/3 bed houses need per regs the 3m and db level if more required I tell the customer so. I fit aico radio linked alarms so no cable between alarms just a perm feed/ neutral from nearest light fitting . Aico state that their alarms if fitted on landing no more than 3m from doorways the required db level is met

I fit a dedicated circuit for smokes if you read the smoke instructions certain lighting cannot be used on smoke detector circuits even if that lighting is not on the circuit when you fit it it may be at some time in the life of that circuit.
Never seen this before what type of lighting you talking about ?

Fluorescent lights and dimmers. I would imagine that certain LED's possibly may also cause problems in the future.

Never seem this on instructions before are they saying the electronics in florries , leds and dimmers effect the smokes.

I don't see how connecting to a live supply at the fuseboard is any different than connecting to the live supply somewhere else within the same supply.

When they say fed from a dimmer circuit I take this as the switch side, as anyone can buy and fit them they need to state these things.

Light Dimmer Circuits – The Alarms must not be powered from a light dimmer circuit.