Late payments

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
done a job for someone last year, and it was invoiced 6-11-08. after months of non-payment, i sent a reminder, and got a reply 1-4-09 saying it was paid 31-12-08 by cheque. for various reasons, it was hard to see if the cheque had arrived, but simply not noted against invoice. skip forward to today, and a cheque arrives, dated 5-11-09!

so anyone know much about late payment charges?

by looking at this, i think im entitled to charge them

if u state on the invoice that after 30days you are able to charge interest of any amount that you wish, but this needs to be stated... most people charge 2% above Bank of Englands rate...

after 30days you go into a default interest rate which can not be argued...

Was it a business or an individual who you did the work for and billed?

If it was an individual then it becomes tricky and you are supposed to be a licensed credit broker if you start charging interest as a percentage even if you state it in advance. This is what we were told by an accountant.

If you add a percentage and they go to court they are likely to win and have it taken off. What did your quote say?

Not sure i would have left it that long to get paid :eek:
for various reasons, it was almost impossible to see if it had been banked, but not marked against invoice as paid. even though i couldnt remember ever getting anything

Worth stating terms and conditions on your website and referring people to them (advice from trading standards), then you have a clear right to persue. But if it is only a small amount, which you obviously haven't missed, why waste time and effort persuing it anyway????

Worth stating terms and conditions on your website and referring people to them (advice from trading standards), then you have a clear right to persue. But if it is only a small amount, which you obviously haven't missed, why waste time and effort persuing it anyway????
i know its a small amount but it has taken them exactly 365 days to pay!

not really that bothered about getting bit extra, but i can legally charge it, might aswell.

2 and 1/2 yr's on and i am still waiting for an invoice to be paid... i think i should give up...
small claim it. give up stuff that unless they have gone bump

they lost a large contract for non payment and doubt that they are still around... they told me several times that they sent the cheque - bunch of gits...

telling the client that you will go to the small claims court always helps... don't get me wrong though..
Not in my experience, though depends on why they haven't paid. If someone doesn't want to pay you, they won't.

More and more firms instruct their accounts depts not to pay until a final warning comes in. That might net them 60 days or more interest on the cash sitting in their account. Spread that across all their creditors and you may be talking a hefty sum. That's just "good business practice" in this day and age. Alas the OP here is to blame*, for sloppy accounting, he's given them 365 days free interest on their debt, more fool him! He should know who paid what, when, where and to whom. Requesting the cheque number which had allegedly been paid would allow a trace to be put on it.

The best thing to do is to make sure your trading terms are on the invoice, after 30 days send a reminder. After 45 days send a recorded delivery letter threatening court action, with a dummy County Court claims form filled out with all charges and fees. That usually does the trick.

Actually putting the claim in isn't so clever, the firm might just wait until the very last moment before the judgement is defaulted and then pay up. You are then out of pocket for the court fee.

If they are not paying because they are totally skint, getting a judgement will make no difference, you might be in a long list of creditors, might be the final straw which tips them over the edge into liquidation. Your money is as good as gone then.

* Not meant to be an attack on the OP, I realise that for a small amount, it's more hassle than it's worth to chase up the unpaid bill. I know I generally have more important things to do than spend time chasing up

Actually putting the claim in isn't so clever, the firm might just wait until the very last moment before the judgement is defaulted and then pay up. You are then out of pocket for the court fee.
agree with most of what you put but if the claim form is paid for then it is payable by them

Latest posts