LCD above Fireplace

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tymark

Reaction score
Hi I've been asked about installing a LCD tv above a electric fire that is used quite frequently - is this good practice ? i'm concerned mainly about the damage that may occur to the tv being in a hotter than normal environment. does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Thanks in advance

most electric fires blow the hot air away from them - it doesnt all go straight up towards where TV is. have a look and see where outlet is. maybe run the fire and see how hot it is where they want the TV

i've done this a few times and never had a call back for any reason so i can only assume everythings fine.

however i once was asked to install a 50" plasma in a recess, i pointed out that with such limited air flow restriction around, the tv was liable to overheat....

he insisted and my invoice noted my disclaimer as to future overheating problems, got asked back a week later to see the tv was not only inside a recess but had been boxed in and plastered around!...it had burned out.....tv2 option was to install 3 computer style fans in boxing behind(not done by me!) for cooling......unsuccessful....tv3 option was to move the tv to another wall....made me laugh anyway.....

i've done this a few times and never had a call back for any reason so i can only assume everythings fine.however i once was asked to install a 50" plasma in a recess, i pointed out that with such limited air flow restriction around, the tv was liable to overheat....

he insisted and my invoice noted my disclaimer as to future overheating problems, got asked back a week later to see the tv was not only inside a recess but had been boxed in and plastered around!...it had burned out.....tv2 option was to install 3 computer style fans in boxing behind(not done by me!) for cooling......unsuccessful....tv3 option was to move the tv to another wall....made me laugh anyway.....
Sounds like my local they boxed the LCD screen in and wondered why it blew up, it went away for repair and less than 6 months later it blew up again cause it was overheating as no air circulation around it.

Sounds like my local they boxed the LCD screen in and wondered why it blew up, it went away for repair and less than 6 months later it blew up again cause it was overheating as no air circulation around it.
I'm suprised that any TV works in a pub, considering the amount of hot air that flows around these places. :)

I'm suprised that any TV works in a pub, considering the amount of hot air that flows around these places. :)
It cant be from the customers as most people cant afford to go anymore with the prices they charge :Y Guiness Drink :Y Guiness Drink:Y Guiness Drink :coat :coat

Don't see the point of flat screen! At least not while HD content is so expensive!

I bought a cheap Sony Triniton CRT for