Lead Supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
legally cheggers if you point out to the customer that their installation does not meet the current regs and in your opinion it is unsafe then you are covered.remember, its not against the law not to have bonding, its a deviation from the current regs.

but NOT illegal in a building that was wired to a different version of the regs, ie, 13th or 14th.

you DO NOT have to make the customer do something they do not want, you only have to leave the install in as was or less dangerous condition, you do NOT have to make it any safer.

IMHO if you bond to lead pipe you are either

A- breaking the law by modifying a lead plumbing installation

B- breaking the law by not using a clamp designed for lead piping (Im assuming you are not a qualified pipe jointer certified to work on lead)

there is a limitations box on your cert, also there is a box for observations, and if you really wanted to you can issue a failure to comply cert, get the customer to sign, you both get a copy then its up to them to rectify the fault, you have your signed copy to wave in court.

as I said, these are only my opinions based on past experiences, others may have done it differently, but Im not a plumber.
I do not agree at all. Fitting an earth clamp to a lead pipe is not 'working on' or 'altering' the pipework. You would never ever ever get prosecuted for doing so. I have seen hundreds of BS 951 clamps on leadpipes and have never seen nor heard of one that has crushed, disformed or corroded the pipe. I have also neither seen nor heard of a BS951 clamp that has 'worked loose' as it has bit into the pipe (yet another old wives tale). This includes cutting open many removed lead pipes to check.

The NICEIC's view on this matter is to try and fit the clamp on the nut of the stopcock. I commented that where this was not possible i had fitted the clamp on a sweated joint ( these are a raised lump which have double thickness lead due to the join). There reply was ok. However you can get different views depending on who's answering the helpline that day.

I also remember a few years ago surveys being carried out to test the lead in water, and there was nothing much higher than a no-lead installation.

hi

i dont see the problem,

when at the electric board we were fully authorised to put clamps on tn-s lead sheaths, the rule was just nip it up till it wouldn't turn-NO MORE!!!!

so what is the difference about popping a clamp on a lead water main-it isn't THAT soft....

i dont see how NOT earthing it is a viable argument myself:_|

not bad

when at the leccy we had to replace/ fit bs951 clamps on lead sheathed TN-S supply cables all the time- a little scary when you saw an infidel REALLY tightening the clamp screw----it was correctly done when JUST clamping the sheath JUST!

a bit like tightening a fastening on a japanese dinky toy metal/aluminium engine....

the manual says say 4 lb-ft on a bolt........in practice when using a torque wrench it literally is just bottomed out-nipped up:p

hi

i do not believe not fitting a bond to a lead is any sort of viable option...

like i said guys, only my opinion,

i have been to court on both sides of the fence on this.

remember, nic are not legally binding.

personally IMHO its illegal to touch lead, my reasons are above and well documented in many and various court cases.

your jail term, your choice!

Im now closed on the matter.

Thanks for all your opinions....but....I'm still not sure which way to go! Now where did I put that coin? ?:|

Its so nice to read a debate on this subject and not go into the realms of "are you qualified, are you a sparks, you need to read section ect ect "

I don't know who is right or wrong but it is good to hear different ideas.

But as an NIC contractor if I carry out any electrical work I make sure that there is some form of bonding. If there is 6mm to the water I am happy with that but I note it down on the cert. If there is no bonding and they won't pay to have it installed I walk away.

Again this is my opinion