LED tape lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at maybe suggesting some LED tape light for underneath their kitchen cabinets.

My wholesaler gets Deltech kits (5m tape including driver and fittings) and they look ok, however I a couple of questions for those that have installed them as there is no technical info available (over the weekend)

Obviously the driver can power the 5m kit without problem, and you can cut it and link it, but is there any maximum length on the "link" wires?

The driver can only be IP3x at best, I guess you have to fit them inside an adaptable box or something, what's the chances of it overheating?

I have used this type of tape before, but would normally buy it from a dedicated supplier. We fit them to reception desks and alcoves and anywhere else the clients need some lighting highlights. I am not sure about the drivers though other than they do get hot during normal running, I am pretty confident that the last ones I used where very good IP rating.

Ahh, I know the type of driver you are using now and as you can see it is a pretty high end unit that will drive high output LED lighting, I have used similar units in suspended ceiling installs to connect up to 5 or 10 LED's. The drivers I have used for tape lights have been much smaller and sealed units no bigger than a large halogen transformer.

It looks like I have been paying way over the odds for some of this lighting, the last invoice to clients was for around

May I ask why there is such a price difference?

I have used the ebay kit and it has been in situ used 8 hours a day for the past 2 years with no problems. The only thing I could possibly fault it on is that it didn't stick strongly at the cable end due to the force of the cable pulling it from under the pelmet. How ever a quick staple around the cable and its been fine for 2 years.

Ok so the differences are as follows:

Wattage per mtr, no of LEDs per mtr, ip65, ip67, non ip rated, RGB, quality of LED, flexi, rigid, warranty, rated life in hrs, qty, ect there are lots of variables. Generally if you buy direct from a company that imports it then it will cost less than the wholesalers who are also buying through them (less people making a margin) I tend to use these guys www.ledridge.co.uk/ they will pre cut set lengths to your requirement and put whatever length of tail on you require at no extra cost. Also shop around for your drivers there are some really good cheap ones about and don't buy lager power rated than you need ie wattage per mtr . If I'm only using 1 or 2 mtrs of the 4.8W per mtr strip then I'll use a 10W driver ect like the Aurora AU-LED1012CV around