Length of lamps.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm after some fire rated downlighters. Does anyone know if the compact flourescent gu10 lamps are longer than a standard one? Don't want them poking out the end!!

do you want the fittings soley for the use of CFLs?

The megaman ones are a completely different shape but the back end is the same so they go into the fittings ... other than that they are proud of the fitting ... they look ok in some of the more decorative fittings but would look a bit daft in a downlighter ...

What about these ones that are designed for that lamp anyway ..

The fittings need to be deep enough to take a energy saving gu10 lamp. With normal downlighters it don't matter as they are not enclosed.

The one's you link to are Jcc and denmans have quoted me on them. I can get another make cheaper though through toolstation but want to make sure that a energy saving lamp will fit.

I use Aurora fire rated fittings

I find that the 7 watt are identical replacement, but 9 watt is generally too big, as it only fits a few of their fittings

Yes they normaly are deeper, some of the short useless (in my opinion) ones can not take any energy saving lamps.

On this subject anyone used the 14watt megamann GU10s lamps yet?