Level 3 2330 Advice for New Student?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiNCFC

Reaction score
Did my level 2 last year and completed it. What is the C&G 2330 Level 3 like? What is the overall subjects on. Any topics i should read into to get a headstart? I am getting the Electrical Installation Work book from David Allen so that should help me.

What is the level 3 like? Is it really tough?

Thanks! :^O

Well, I finished my level 3 in July. Before we started it the tutors would tell us how hard it was and aht a big jump compared to level 2. However, I didn't think it was too bad really. There is more emphasis on inspection and testing and there are no practical lessons as such.

The online exams are similar to level 2: health and safety and science combined - motors feature heavily in this exam!!!! There are also 2 written exams: Inspection and Testing for the first and Fault Finding for the second. Some of these question are quite difficult. I'd recommend getting Guidance Notes 3 which really helps.

Good luck!!

That's great help thanks! Will have a look at guidance note 3.

If anyone else have any opinions that would be great too.

When I did mine it was in roman numerals, so I can not really help you, other than to give you my slate and flint for working out.

Joking apart its all down to attitude and interest, the thing that blew me away in the beginning was all the mathamatical equations, but once I figured them out the rest was easy.

Look at the forum and see who is doing it or has done it in the last year, they are the best to draw any help from, because they are doing it as you are, I find that more often than not its simple encouragement that is required rather than answers.

i thought level 3 was getting moved to the nvq 2365 with the AM2 test at the end of the course ?

Hi kiwincfc im just doing my level 3 & resitting my 301 exam friday still plenty of health & safety questions & priciples of electricity mainy calculations sceince & motors i also had a few formula questions but failed my 1st atempt by 2 questions & like wayne says assessment of testing & inspecting with two hr written exam & fault finding you can take your onsite guide & bs7671 bible in with you for both written exams. Our tutor also recommended aquiring guidence notes 3 to help with inspection & testing. Remember the blank pages in your red books make notes of anything you think might help you can take these books in with you

i thought level 3 was getting moved to the nvq 2365 with the AM2 test at the end of the course ?
When the 2357 begins there will be no 2330 L2 or L3 & the NVQ will be combined with 2357 as one qualification.

Thanks Dempstar!

Surely your not allowed to write notes in a book you are taking into an exam?

Thanks Dempstar!Surely your not allowed to write notes in a book you are taking into an exam?
Officially you are not allowed, and we were told that that invigilators can fail you on the spot if they were to find notes in your books. But there were a few in our class who made notes and got away with it.

Having said that, if you know how to read the BRB, then you won't really need to look at any notes.

The practical exams were fairly straightforward and revolve around inspection and testing. We had one 'big board' exam and than three 'small board' exams. The small were easy really: visual inspection (there are a number - 6 I think - of code 1 faults that we had to pick up to pass, Zs (remember the rule of thumb), and a small PIR board.

The big board exam caught a couple of people out. Your examiner will stop you immediately if you do not carry out safe isolation properly, or if you do something that is deemed unsafe. The tests are all pretty straightforward, and there will be a few 'visual' faults such as undersized bonding etc. They can put various different faults on the board, and some of these can get the brain working, but think about them and they become fairly obvious - broken neutral conductors etc.

If you have any more questions, post here and I'll try to remember as much as I can.

Thanks Dempstar!Surely your not allowed to write notes in a book you are taking into an exam?
Well kiwiNCFC i didn't think we where allowed to write notes in the onsite guide & bs 7671 but our tutor pointed out the blank pages that says notes & said we could write things in these as you can take them in with you.

Latest posts