Light switch and extractor fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wejsale13

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. We have 2 bog standard ceiling lights in our bathroom which are operated from one single switch outside. We wanted to put a double switch on so the lights can be used independantly of each other. We have also purchased an extractor fan with timer and we wanted to run the wiring for the fan into one of the switches on the proposed new double switch. Being told we need to have a permantent live for the timer but getting confused, can anyone help?

Ok so what we have is the live feed from the consumer unit either to a junction box or the light fitting itself (or rarely the switch). It is then split and taken through the switch (sw live). In your case this will then go to the second light.

For your fan you need a live, neutral and a switched live from the light. It needs a permanent live so that it can over-run when the light is switched off. You would have to decide which of the two lights you would use to trip the fan.

You would need to find the supply to the bathroom lights from the lighting circuit. Then run a new wire to the existing switch as a sw live and divert the lighting circuit to the second light. You would have to remove the sw live from the first light to avaid short circuit.

Swap the single switch for a double. You need a 3 pole fan isolator. Is your lighting circuit through an RCD - all bathroom circuits must now be. This work is strictly notifiable.

Do I make a word of sense?

The existing single light switch has a permanent and switched live. When lights are switched on only a switched live to both lights in the bathroom, no permanent live.

If the loop is in the switch it may make it a bit easier. Just a new run to the other light from the switch. TP fan isolator a must. Make sure you remove the connection between the two lights!

So I just loop and wire to the second light from my new double switch as well as removing the connection between both lights. Instructions state a 3 amp double pole fuse is this what you mean by a 3 pole fan isolator

So I just loop and wire to the second light from my new double switch as well as removing the connection between both lights. Instructions state a 3 amp double pole fuse is this what you mean by a 3 pole fan isolator
This is a 3 pole isolator

This is a 3A DP fuse

The first is a means of total isolation for the fan (to repair it etc) the second a means of overload protection which IMO is probably unnecessary if spurring off lighting.

Many thanks for all your help, will have a go after work tomorrow and come back with results.

Switched live (from light switch)

perminant live(for fan over run)

Neutral

Isolation provided to allow safe working on fan or to disconnect due to fault/danger.

Or my main use to switch the noisy thing off when Ive been for a pee! ;)

Guiness Drink

Hi, New to the forum and looking for some advice. We have 2 bog standard ceiling lights in our bathroom which are operated from one single switch outside. We wanted to put a double switch on so the lights can be used independantly of each other. We have also purchased an extractor fan with timer and we wanted to run the wiring for the fan into one of the switches on the proposed new double switch. Being told we need to have a permantent live for the timer but getting confused, can anyone help?

When you say Bog standard lights, does this mean they are specially made for use in toilets . Only joking, welcome to the forum.

Latest posts