Light switch move.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its a down stairs light curcuit you could argue that you have avoided danger and at minimum inconvenience to the customers pocket! ?:|

A few years ago someone would have gone round there and moved the switch. Today we are talking about ... installing conduit...fitting an RCD... issuing a Minor works Cert.... the Building Act 84.... installing Flexishield cable (

A few years ago someone would have gone round there and moved the switch. Today we are talking about ... installing conduit...fitting an RCD... issuing a Minor works Cert.... the Building Act 84.... installing Flexishield cable (

H&S is so high on the agenda these days......

Where theres blame theres a claim and all that

sometimes common sense gets lost :(

I just think we take some of this officaldom / paperwork/ big brother is watching us/ stuff too far. A house wired to the 16th was deemed as quite safe last year, the bees knees in fact, so move the switch , nothing has changed , its still wired to the 16th like 10,000,000 other houses . The cable cores were probably twin red or even worse, red and black, Oh no another can of worms .

New work and major additions , yes , I agree with you Batts, its the 17th , but pharty little jobs, we will price ourselves out of the domestic market and Mr Handyman will step in and do it. I have already come across them doing bathrooms and garden electrics.

Deke

I just think we take some of this officaldom / paperwork/ big brother is watching us/ stuff too far. A house wired to the 16th was deemed as quite safe last year, the bees knees in fact, so move the switch , nothing has changed , its still wired to the 16th like 10,000,000 other houses . The cable cores were probably twin red or even worse, red and black, Oh no another can of worms .New work and major additions , yes , I agree with you Batts, its the 17th , but pharty little jobs, we will price ourselves out of the domestic market and Mr Handyman will step in and do it. I have already come across them doing bathrooms and garden electrics.

Deke
But it would not cost a lot to do it right. How much is a length of galv conduit. It is already threaded so you would just cut it to length it is being chopped in anyway job done right and you are above Mr handyman/gardener as you have done it to the wiring regs.

Batty

It may be acceptable to EAWR but it would be a departure from BS7671:2008. CCU seems to be 16th split load with 1 RCD so will just move the lighting mcb onto the RCD side. Unless I am missing something, that will then comply with 17th will it not?

Thanks.

Ian.
leave it on the NON RCD side, but stick in an RCBO..