Lighting issues in a bungalow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Testing a bungalow prior to a fuseboard upgrade

there are two fuses for the lights,,,,,,partially marked up

after finding loads of issues i discover they are interconnected,,,,,,i try to find the connection

decided after a while that best option would be to put the whole lot into one mcb,,,5 wires

now would you guys connect them altogether (in an appropriated box) in the loft and feed one cable to the cu or try to fight with them so they are visible

i have recommended the lighting is partially rewired which may be done at a later date,,when funds are available

back there on tomorrow to the house of horrors

Is that two fuses protecting the lighting circuits?

Or rather as it will not be?

2 fuses protecting the one lighting cct at the moment

want to put them on one...

2 fuses protecting the one lighting cct at the momentwant to put them on one...
I'm confused.

Are you saying both "circuits" are joined together?

If so is this L and N, or just a borrowed neutral issue?

If L on the two "circuits" is joined, then I'll bet this is a more recent addition or alteration gone wrong, rather than them being like that originally. I would want to spend at least some time trying to find the fault and understand how it's wired.

Why not connect one leg into DB put the other leg in blocks then see if lights come on through out the dwelling then check if there is a feed in the leg in the blocks if so trace it back and disconnect.

They have wired it like a ring main.

I have a good idea where it is,,,,,,

it does not look to be an addition......

the trouble is the old girl hasnt got the funds for me to investigate fully so my idea was a quick fix

i will be asked back as her daughter is frightened about electrics,,,,,,,got to finish testing tomorrow and go from there

other issue 100 mile round trip !!!!!! so cant keep going down there

Could you just not split it up by taking a new feed about half way round JB it there so it properly split. On bungalows thats what I do if there is only one circuit especially with elderly people you won't be popular leaving them in darkness if trip trips.

that what i would like to do,,,,,,

i will try and take a photo of the jb thats already there .....then you will understand why i want to rewire it !!!!

its a right dogs dinner....

Spam?

EDIT

This post now looks silly, now that the offending post it referred to has gone.

Perhaps this post should also be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: