lighting problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshauns2k

Reaction score
I've got a problem in a property my family rents out,2 light fittings are not not working there's power going to lampholder but still the light does not work,i took the bulb out of that fitting and put it in another light fitting and it is working fine,i've also taken the lampholder of the working fitting and put it on problem fitting and still it does not work,as i said before there is power to the lampholder on swithing on but the light just doesn't come on.any surgestions

could be one of two things by the sounds of it, the lampholder terminals arnt makiing contact, or the neutral has been lost.

agree with above, you've changed the lampholder so i'd say you've lost the neutral(black/blue) wire feeding into the light fitting.

to check for power always test between line+neutral and line+earth(cpc) and in some cases ive known between supposedly neutral and earth! and dont just use a contact neon type screwdriver which shouldnt be trusted at all

Agree with FS too - and if no-one has been working on those two lights, My money is on a lost Neutral. :)