Lights in my house keep tripping - advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite sure what you refer to as a "main circuit breaker"..

But 99.999999999% of the time any MCB's / RCD's or RCBO's that trip are doing exactly what they have been designed to do..

Disconnect the power rapidly to avoid the risk of electric shock in the event of a fault..

Unless a device has been proven to be faulty there is no sensible reason to replace it..

to me that is a sign of incompetence...

Bit like having your car engine replaced because you ran out of petrol or the tyre was flat!!!

Randomly changing parts generally proves nothing..

With that junction box you have found,

I would have though it relatively easy to test each and every single cable coming from it..

Most probably go to a light switch or light fitting..

One will be an incoming supply

I think I could test most of those cables single handed...

verify polarity, continuity and insulation resistance,

and reconnect them into a new insulated enclosure with earths where present also reconnected...

in no more than approx half a day's labour.

(Correcting any anomalies identified would have to be costed separately.)

:coffee   
Well all you’ve got to do is get yourself up to Scotland, travel not usually costed on your quotes is it :C  

Hi, thanks for the advice on this it’s been really helpful, I’ll let you know what the outcome is tomorrow and will try and find way of uploading the photo’s of fuse box 👍

in the blue area, below the white area for your text you should see "drag files here to attach or choose files" - note the maximum size is the total size of all the photo's you want to attach - not for each one.

Glasgow is a bit far for @ProDave

Not sure where @baldelectricianis based either

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Yes Glasgow is a 3 hour drive for me, there must be someone closer.

A lot of these old junction boxes, they took the CPC's bare, out of the box and twisted them together outside the junction box. In this case they might be twisted together underneath.  I have even found them twisted together on the top making it nigh on impossible to remove the lid.

It is possible that box is earthed and one of the conductors is casually touching the enclosure through damage where entry protection has not been employed.
The electrician has been out and found similar to what you’re suggesting, one of the red wires was connected to box but other end of it was going nowhere but touching box, he disconnected this and my lights have been on for almost an hour (longest time) I’ve to check in with him later to let him know if they’re still working. The only light not working through disconnecting the red wire is my outdoor light - which was the first one I had a problem with!! (it was after I got this fixed that the tripping of lights started. Really hoping this is the end of the problem - he said everything else was connected and looks fine 

Thanks for the feedback glad it is hopefully sorted. What are you going to do with that junction box I would be looking at replacing it.

It is possible that box is earthed and one of the conductors is casually touching the enclosure through damage where entry protection has not been employed.
The electrician has been out and found similar to what you’re suggesting, one of the red wires was connected to box but other end of it was going nowhere but touching box, he disconnected

Did he not check out the outside light? A quick cable test and if good reconnect, then you may have had your outside light again? 
this and my lights have been on for almost an hour (longest time) I’ve to check in with him later to let him know if they’re still working. The only light not working through disconnecting the red wire is my outdoor light - which was the first one I had a problem with!! (it was after I got this fixed that the tripping of lights started. Really hoping this is the end of the problem - he said everything else was connected and looks fine 

They’ve just blew again, the thud seemed to come from above bathroom ceiling only light on at time was the hall light 😩 that is the longest it’s lasted before tripping 

Think you need to insist on an insulation resistance test to each cable in the box and continuity to establish what is going on with each core. 

OP I think you should get a full and proper inspection done on your electrics, and then see what the report says before taking any steps

It appears that you don’t have any RCD protection, and for sockets that’s been a requirement for about 20 years, which dates your fuseboard to the last millenium

Think you need to insist on an insulation resistance test to each cable in the box and continuity to establish what is going on with each core. 
I’ve spoken to him and he’s going to do that - rewiring the circuit 

As Murdo has suggested based on the pictures you have posted it may well be worth having a full inspection report done so that both you and your appointed spark know what you’re up against in the house electrically. 
Given that he is rewiring the lights if necessary, he may have to add Rcd protection to that circuit. So it may be better to have the inspection and have a full idea of what’s going on to save having bits and pieces done here and there which may result in an overall higher cost to you? 

Given that he is rewiring the lights if necessary, he WILL have to add Rcd protection to that circuit. So it may be better to have the inspection and have a full idea of what’s going on to save having bits and pieces done here and there which may result in an overall higher cost to you? 

edited that for you

I’ve had it all checked 3 times with fault finding explorations - all light fittings removed and checked, bulbs out then replaced one by one, all light switches opened and wiring checked, RCD board wiring and screws checked/tightened and ok flexes in all drops good condition that’s why finally get floor ripped up and search for junction box

After seen the photo of your CU...

AND your comment that multiple checks of your problem have been made..

I cannot believe no-one has mentioned how out-of-date...

and lacking electric shock protection your installation is..?

Unless of course you have not had any competent electrician who is aware of current regs from say..  the past 10 to 20 years?

:C

After seen the photo of your CU...

AND your comment that multiple checks of your problem have been made..

I cannot believe no-one has mentioned how out-of-date...

and lacking electric shock protection your installation is..?

Unless of course you have not had any competent electrician who is aware of current regs from say..  the past 10 to 20 years?

:C
Bit dramatic why is it lacking in shock protection (fault protection for modern terminology) there is every possibility those devices conform for ADS so are you referring to additional protection. 

only if he requires? 
In a dwelling any rewiring of the lighting circuits will require additional protection. 

Status
Not open for further replies.