Lights Tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.leung

Reaction score
i had a call from a client today saying that he new LED kitchen lights keep tripping the MCB maybe once a week.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p31851

popped over to a quick chat today to see the issue... of course the mcb did not trip whilst i was there. it trips when they are switched on within 2-3 seconds.

has anyone else ever had any issues with these lights ? There are 9 of these lights on the circuit and the whole of the lighting circuit is on this one MCB.

they look fantastic the light that they produce is amazing... they are now actually cheaper.... i am thinking if the inductance is making the mcb trip... what are your thoughts or am i totally going crazy....

Wire wound transformers are an issue with B type Mcb's, but electronic transformers took away that problem.

I'm not familiar with the fitting and what's under the hood, but I would not expect LED's to be popping mcb.

I'd have to say that these fittings are somewhat limiting in the fact that the led lamp can not be replaced? Seems an expensive way to have to replace the whole fitting as opposed to the lamp?

Just an observation and I note that this may not be helpful with the problem that you are experiencing.

I will give some thought to it and see if I can help.

Regards

Sharpe, most of these fittings carry 5-7 year guarantee and that is considered the safe working life of the fitting anyway.

if you take a GU10 LED and standard fitting I doubt with a quality LED there is much difference in price.

I have been 100% in favour of the GU10 LED and standard fitting, but having fitted 40+ Halers recently I'm now swaying toward the all in one.

On a house alteration I did a couple of years ago, the owner mentioned he had to fit a 'C' curve mcb (Contactum) on one of his existing LED lighting circuits as it kept tripping when switched on. When I replaced the board with Square D RCBO's a 'B' curve was fine on the same circuit, the Contactum one 's just a bit to sensitive. What make of board is it?

You did verify that max Zs is still compliant didn't you? as the Type 'C' values are about half of the Type 'B' values.

Doc H.
:eek:

If a good circuit didn't comply with the max Zs values then I'd worry about the CPC continuity or the length of the circuit,,,, seeing as you'd have a smidge over 3 Ohms to play with ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As you say, on the average domestic with a 6A MCB, it should be OK, but larger a property, or 10A, and/or a poor connection somewhere in circuit and Zs may be too high. I would like to think that most forum members would never change the rating or type of MCB without verifying the Zs.

Doc H.

Each light has three LED's and there are 13 located in the kitchen. each light is 9w.

9w x 13 = 117watts of LED lighting.

when I measured the current in the circuit with all of the lights on in the house, the current measured at 7.8A. This excluded the out door lights as the bulbs had blown in the floods. the old MCB was a B6.