Linking mcb in consumer unit with wire not busbar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggis31

Reaction score
Hi

I have installed a new mcb in my consumer unit. The cosumer unit did not have any spare busbar so I used a piece of 6mm insulated cable to link the last mcb with the busbar in to the new mcb.

Just wanted to check this is ok?

Cheers

I would guess no as the busbar is capable of taking the load from the main fuse the 6mm piece will not

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess no as the busbar is capable of taking the load from the main fuse the 6mm piece will not
and?

what about a small bit of wire running off a busbar chamber?

ive used a bit of 6 / 10mm to fit an MCB a few times. not ideal, but not dangerous

OMG!!![/SIZE] You Did What ????

Done it myself , never had a problem , but I know what flack will be coming now.... the altering manufacturer's specification stuff .......you didn't use a different make breaker did you ???? Thats a hanging offence now apparently.

Just wanted to check if it was dangerous or not, I have done my 2391-10 but dont really do electrical install work im a commissioning engineer.

I think we all know that Steve but sometimes ,needs must. In this game you can never everything you need. One breaker on the end of a domestic board ... I don't think would create a dangerous situation , however we all see things differently .

I think we all know that Steve but sometimes ,needs must. In this game you can never everything you need. One breaker on the end of a domestic board ... I don't think would create a dangerous situation , however we all see things differently .
I totally agree and 40mm of 6mm

Thanks gents just wanted to double check, I only ever do panel wiring not db boards, thought it was ok but wanted to check to be on safe side.

Thanks again

Mcb is 32amp, cable link is approx 300mm in length. There was no room left on top din rai so added breaker to spare din rail below, reason why link is 300mm in length not 40mm

Don't use a bit of 1mm to link your new shower MCB though unless its a power shower. And don't use Blue because the shower will run backwards.

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
it wont run anywhere once its screwed to the wall:coat