live bath problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello superwolI had a problem on a job that i was called out to. The owner a retired architect said he was gettting a shock of the shower door and other metal parts in a shower room. I tested the metal on the shower door down to earth there was 220 volts. After a lot of hunting around i found an unused socket under the shower and as the sealant had gone on the shower water was tracking down the wall and making the showert cubicle live. The house was protected by a voltage operated trip, not the most reliable protectors. As the shower room was originally a bedroom the socket had not been removed when the room was converted. Unbelievable what some people will do. I don't no if this might be of help for finding your problem.

Batty
slight change from the thread here, but i have a question for batty (or anyone else who can answer it).

you said you tested the door to earth, did you put a croc clip on the met and the other end on the door?

i am finding testing very intersting and am keen to learn more.

sorry again for the change in the thread!

slight change from the thread here, but i have a question for batty (or anyone else who can answer it).you said you tested the door to earth, did you put a croc clip on the met and the other end on the door?

i am finding testing very intersting and am keen to learn more.

sorry again for the change in the thread!
id imagine the closest available souce. which could be the bathroom light or a socket (after checking voltages there and making sure the earth is as it should be)

id imagine the closest available souce. which could be the bathroom light or a socket (after checking voltages there and making sure the earth is as it should be)
ok, so check from the earth to live in the light and if it says 0 volts test from the earth in the light to the door.

many thanks chaps

You would use the earth on the light or similar close source and with the other probe touch round all metalic objects to see if there is a difference in potential. Asuming the earth at the light is sound.

You would use the earth on the light or similar close source and with the other probe touch round all metalic objects to see if there is a difference in potential. Asuming the earth at the light is sound.
how do u confirm the earth in the light is sound? if you test it against the live the rcd will trip (wont it)?

R1 + R2 test at the light? I suppose it would prove it if the rcd tripped when you tested L - E. Or if not on RCD just test L - E.

R1 + R2 would be best though.

R1 + R2 test at the light? I suppose it would prove it if the rcd tripped when you tested L - E. Or if not on RCD just test L - E.R1 + R2 would be best though.
R1 + R2 at the light, so link the mcb with the earth at the ccu as a normal r1 + r2 then test the resistance at the bathroom light.

many thanks

its so usefull knowing all of these time saving tips

Paul what I did was test from the nearest socket earth connection. The reason Rcd did not trip was because there was not one. It had a voltage operated trip and we know how reliable they are. The fault was fixed shower was resealed and the voltage operated trip is probably still there.

Batty

3 tenants and not a phone between them.
No phones but underfloor heating and a jacuzzi bath, sounds about right!!!

hey ho. off for a pint in the sun instead
Sounds like the best option to me!!!

The mystery of the electrocuting room and mysteriously glowing voltstick remains unsolved... not to mention the disapearance of the sparky, sounds a little spooky to me Pray Pray Pray

:^O :^O