loft

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how neat are people in lofts, do u clip cable along and around truses, or just run on top of insulation

i try and bunch all to gether and run in the corner of the truses out of the way... when i need to come out into mid of the loft, i clip down the side of the truses.

I always try to clip to the inside top of the trusses. If they decide to board the loft out for storage the cables will not be in the way.

I have seen many damaged cables by boards being placed directly on top of them.

how neat are people in lofts, do u clip cable along and around truses, or just run on top of insulation
Try to get in there before them dastardly insulation people!

I would clip it clear or run it through oval resting on top of the insulation if it's them old poly balls.

New insulation will try and do as green-hornet.

thanks for the advise guys it always good to see how other people do things

How big an issue is insulation with cables? I have seen endless cables buried in insulation in lofts and partitions. New builds and old properties.

Used to clip neatly years ago but not anymore. Least time spent in that bloody lagging the better. These days lagging is about 10 feet thick , so we insert a mini rod up the light hole so we can find it, then just drop cables on top of lagging.

No way are we messing with that damn stuff these days I'm afraid.

Made me ill a couple of times so I use filter face mask now .

Deke

How big an issue is insulation with cables? I have seen endless cables buried in insulation in lofts and partitions. New builds and old properties.
if u have osg its got tabulated values, i think but dont quote me, if its totaly enclosed it derates the cable by half

i used to clip,but have had to relax my standards somewhat,so now i just throw it in and dont give a toss as long as it looks tidyish,i lay the cables on top of the insulation for the reason in last post:p

PS,i dont ever use joint boxes in the loft ever Guinness

We TRY and be tidy in the loft, and clip it round the loft hatch if we can't tuck the stuff neatly to avoid trips. Most of the time we tuck it between the joist and the insulation. We don't ever fit 1mm T and E in lofts now - minimum of 1.5mm. MUCH prefer houses with conduit :)