Looking For...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bane

Reaction score
A tool that I can use to trim down T&E whilst I'm 2nd fixing.

Don't like to use a Stanley.

Want the sheathing to be nice and neat.

Was thinking along the lines of these 3 products but not too sure if they'd be suitable for the job:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=16569

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KNIPEX-78-03-125-ESD-Electronic-Super-Knips-Flat_W0QQitemZ400001313823QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item400001313823&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.wiha.com/england/Onlineshop/Pliers/Z46003_Mikro-End-cutting-nippers-Wiha-Electronic

Any other sensible suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers

Hi Zee (Andy)

Do you have a link to that please?

(Being lazy I know)

I'll have a look at that first one Apache thanks.

Not keen on the 2nd link.

Normally when I strip T&E, I snip into the cable, pull back the earth with pliers, pull out remaining cables, fold back grey pvc then snip around. Just wanted something with a finer blade to trim it down.

No. Sorry, musn't be explaining myself well.

Have tools for stripping back L,N,E

Want something to trim down the Outer, Grey, PVC sheathing, to give it a clean cut.

Thanks Andy and Apache for your help there.

A friend of mine actually bought a pair of those for me yesterday but don't collect them till Monday!

Thanks again guys.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Hi there,

I assume you mean the outer sheath?

I tend to scour around the outer sheath, then either scour down the length or use the earth. Then I "snap"/pull off the outer sheath once its split back.

That way I can feel i haven't scoured too deep - Takes time to get it right and not cut too deep - and only scour.

D.

I have the CK as Zee links to above.

Not bad, as long as you remove the bits of insulation before next trim.

Also, keep your fingers well away from the top of it, as it gives a nasty nip:(

Brill for T+E, as you can strip the outer, then both inner cores at once, hey presto, neato trim

KME

Snip down middle, pull on cpc, cut sheath with snips. Who cares if it looks neat - it is hidden behind a socket front. Speed means you ain't got time to 'trim' the sheath like they show ya in college. Why do summat that you DON't need to do fella?

i also use the cpc to strip cable back, im sure there'll be a few comments about that now! my response to the comments as to why i should run a knife down the cpc is that in all the 2nd fixing i have done, i have never ever had a bad reading whatsoever from this.

i also use the cpc to strip cable back, im sure there'll be a few comments about that now! my response to the comments as to why i should run a knife down the cpc is that in all the 2nd fixing i have done, i have never ever had a bad reading whatsoever from this.
This seems the norm to me and most sparks i,v worked with , just get a good pair of snips - Knipex are excellent

Ste

personally I just use my pliers, and guide the cpc, cant be doing with all this having different tools for each and every specific job.

each to their own tho.

Yeah im the same whats the point of having all the tools whenu have perfect side cutters to do all the jobs cut in the middle of cable pull the cpc out use tht for pulling to desirded length and then strip the L - N to what length u need simple.