low energy lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

i am on a rewire and would like some advice on what low energy fittings to use and where to put them. said place is going to be rented out to student's.

lights will be as follows:

1xground floor hall way (stairs only on this floor)

1xsecond floor hall

1xsnug

1xlounge & 3x2A sockets

kitchen undecided

bath room ditto

1xtop floor hall

1xbed 1

1xbed 2

1xbed3

shower room undecided

i need 1 in 4 to be energy efficent so advice on placements and make cost etc much appreciated.

thanks

paul

Don't forget you will likely need to fit mains powered smoke detectors as this is a HMO, can be wired into the lighting circuit, and need to be RF linked

1x Optical on each landing, 1x heat for each kitchen

No body likes the Pendant Low energy type as the replacement lamps are difficult to obtain and expensive.

I would fit 16 watt 2D fittings in bathroom, shower rooms and 1 hallway, Flo in kitchen that gives you 4 in total.

No body likes the Pendant Low energy type as the replacement lamps are difficult to obtain and expensive.I would fit 16 watt 2D fittings in bathroom, shower rooms and 1 hallway, Flo in kitchen that gives you 4 in total.
..as above , but would fit standard B.C energy saver lamps to all remaining pendants as the Students tend not to even bother changing gls lamps when required . :(

You dont have to comply on a rewire, however, the option should be made available to the person ordering/paying for the works.

You dont have to comply on a rewire, however, the option should be made available to the person ordering/paying for the works.
To be clear here, the property owner has to comply not you. If they choose not to then note it on the invoice/reciept that they declined to have LE lighting installed against your advice.

thanks chaps.i take it a strip is classed as low energy then?

2D? will have to google that one.

thanks again
Building reg Approved Document L1 gives guidance regarding internal lighting energy saving as...

a. One fitting per 25sqM of floor area (excluding garages)

b. One fitting per four fixed light fittings.

it also describes an energy saving fitting as one that has 40lumens or greater per circuit-watt,

Where circuit-watt is the power consumed by the lamp and its associated control gear.

(you can download Approved Doc L1B, just as you can App Doc P)..

the above info is from page 21 of doc L1B!

So if your strip is >40lumen per watt then yes it can be classed as energy saving.

That said, as pointed out by t'others you are not obliged to have to follow these requirements as its not new build or extension work.

:) :D

hello chaps,i am on a rewire and would like some advice on what low energy fittings to use and where to put them. said place is going to be rented out to student's.

lights will be as follows:

1xground floor hall way (stairs only on this floor)

1xsecond floor hall

1xsnug

1xlounge & 3x2A sockets

kitchen undecided

bath room ditto

1xtop floor hall

1xbed 1

1xbed 2

1xbed3

shower room undecided

i need 1 in 4 to be energy efficent so advice on placements and make cost etc much appreciated.

thanks

paul
Must ask if stairs are only on this floor how do you get to the rest:C:slap