Low voltage LED desk lamp with a switching problem.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichwan

Reaction score
I need Help! 

Hi, I am a new member with a electrical problem.

I have designed a desk lamp that has plug-in AC/DC constant current LED driver 700mA (supplied by Power Pax - SW4143). This powers a 3 OSLON®+80 PowerAnna PCB White with a heat sink from Intelligent Light Solutions. I wanted to use a touch switch and dimmer. The only touch switch I could find is a product from China with little in the way of info or provenance. I have fitted this component and it seemed to be working properly then after a few hours of being left on it would cut out or when in an off mode would come back on. 

Because i'm not a trained electrical person I don't know how to know if the components are all the correct ones or how to test them, and in testing knowing what to do with the findings.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help or know who I could approach with this sort of problem.

many thanks 

Ichwan

I should have introduced myself!

I am a Furniture and Product designer working in the South East. I am keen to get some great lighting products into production.

Thanks for being there.

Ichwan

Are these items for your own personal use, in your own home, as in a bit of a DIY hobby electronics project.  Or are you aiming to try and have something that you sell on to customers? If the second option then from the information given so far I very much doubt you would get anywhere near having a product that is legally safe for you to sell. You will either have to find an off the shelf product that you can fit into your furniture, or start a very long and expensive process to get your design approved for sale in the UK.

Doc H.

@Ichwan, as has been asked what are you trying to accomplish?

If you are looking to place a product on the market then you will need to comply with the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations as amended for your product to be legal for sale.

You can do this in two ways.

1. You can design as you wish, and follow the approach from Doc Hudson above in getting the equipment independently tested and verified as suitable for sale.

2. You can design in accordance with harmonised standards, and then declare the product as safe for sale.  You will then be totally liable for any issues that the product causes in the market place, if for example it catches fire and kills a family, and it is proved that your product is the one that started the fire you will be liable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Doc H.

Thanks for your comments on Friday.

I am making a lamp for sale not DIY and I am aware of the process of testing for market. 

My main interest from the experts on the Forum is trying to get the switch problem sorted out, so I can go through the testing process with confidence.

I just need someone who knows about this area of LED lights.

many thanks.