maintained and non-maintained emergency lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adammid

Reaction score
Hi all can anyone advise when it is a requirement for emergency lights above an emergency exit requires to be maintained or non maintained and who is responsible.

Also can you buy a generic emergency fitting and then add or remove a link to make it maintained or non maintained and then it can be either or when the decisions/ requirements are decided?

Many thanks

ALL emergency exits need an emergency light

because according to previous posts, ambient

light levels from street etc cannot be used

in the assessment.

Look at the FRA; Fire Risk Assessment.

YOU as the installer are liable.

Read associated threads; they are informative.

Hi Tech, I understand that all Emergency exits must have emergency lights it's just whether they have to be maintained or non-maintained that I'm unsure about.

I take it, it's the clients/ owner of the building/ occupier that is responsible for the fire risk assessment. A FRA hasn't been brought to my attention yet but I will ask. I also assume the insurance company will require a FRA to be carried out.

Im working on a village hall extension, there are no architects plans referring the electrical or plumbing services. It's just a case of installing what the client wants and what is required to get it passed by building regs. The architect is typical and is clueless and has left all responsibility with me, the plumber and two man band builders. #hatejobslikethis

Do not assume; find out if there

are any specific requirements

from them, but do not assume that

what they want is correct.

That would be great in an ideal world but I can guarantee that the Architect will turn around and say that it's a design and build job, however I have not signed a contract or anything to say that I am wholly responsible for the design of the electrical system but I know that if there are any amendments to be done in order for it to get passed by building regs the architect will turn round and say the cost is on my head.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? What did they do? When the architect doesn't take any responsibility and the client thinks the dundhines out of his backside?

Sorry that's meant to say 'sunshines' not dundhines. Bloody predictive text!

As far as I know in public buildings were people are present that are not familiar with the location and exits e.g your place they will need maintained

I have worked in some places who ask these questions if in doubt go for maintained unless there is a considerable reason why not to in public areas

If you can get some of the LED ones bit more costly but last much longer I have known clients install new fittings off the shelf and when I've tested it fails after 2-3 months

Most em fittings I have these days have links in I believe in non maintained personally so the lamp is only lit when testing or in a emergency

I would definitely think they need to be on all the time for a hall. I personally take advice off somebody from channel safety systems as they know the regs but really this needs to be spot on and remember you are really going to need the correct certificates for this work. You are opening a can of worms doing work in places that are open to the public.

That would be great in an ideal world but I can guarantee that the Architect will turn around and say that it's a design and build job, however I have not signed a contract or anything to say that I am wholly responsible for the design of the electrical system but I know that if there are any amendments to be done in order for it to get passed by building regs the architect will turn round and say the cost is on my head.
Has anyone else been in a similar position? What did they do? When the architect doesn't take any responsibility and the client thinks the dundhines out of his backside?

Sorry that's meant to say 'sunshines' not dundhines. Bloody predictive text!
If you are concerned about responsibilities and obligations, produce you own contact of works, detailing what you agree to do and what limitation (if any) are applicable. Then get your client to sign a copy to confirm that you both know what you are doing. I am amazed at how often electricians go bowling into a job with no written agreements whatsoever, then they are surprised when things go pear shaped later. Golden rule for any ambiguous work situations, get it in writing or don't do it.

Doc H.

I totally agree Doc and that is what I will do in the future. The problem that I have and I know what you will all say but Im only just starting out on my own, im in my mid twenties, working in a small town where a lot of builders, clients think that regulations don't matter and if it works ok and has done for the last 40 years they don't need some young spark turning up and telling them it's wrong and charging what they think is a fortune. It's really frustrating for me and I would like to get into some more professional work and be able to say to the client 'well that's the regs and that's what needs to be done, if you don't like it then I can't do it' but I wouldnt get any work.

I went to another job a while back and told a customer that they could not have a 10kw electric shower because they only had a 50 amp main fuse and a lot of storage heaters in the house etc and there would be too much load. His answer was '********, I know lots of houses that have electric showers and storage heaters' . head bang

The usage of the building also comes into the equation. If there is to be an entertainment license, Alcohol license, music license, dancing license etc they all have additional rules and regs. Also any fixed seating also can alter things.

Any public place also has to have a fire warning system. This can be a full fire alarm system or just a hand bell all depending on the risk assessment.

Latest posts