Garden lighting suggestions please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. My client wants me to install a whole new garden lighting design.

They have stipulated a preference for 12v system with 7 or 8 individual lights as well as a some festoon lighting. Remote control allowing control of individual lights/groups of lights is a requirement also.

230v could be run to the shed and then 12v cables run from there - longest 12v run would be about 20 metres.

Can anyone recommend a suitable system?

Many thanks!

(As no one else has offered an opinion) My thoughts on the subject.

I would ask your client what it is they expect to see, e.g. do they want to illuminate specific plants, trees or part of a wall or even mounted on the wall? Do they want cool white or warm white lights or even RGB lights, like wise do they want a pathway illuminated? You can then choose suitable light fittings to suit their expectations, not some kit that cost less than £100 that then plugs in and takes 10 minutes to install.

If you want groups/individual light switching, I would suggest sonoff units, but you may need to install a wi-fi extender as well. (To keep things neat, I would suggest you mount them in a PVC adaptable box)

As for festoon lighting I would strongly recommend staying away from 12v, even though the lamps will be LED, most LED festoon strings you can not change the lamps. 240v festoon strings you can change the lamps.

There is a wide variety of lamps and fittings, some better than others, but It is down to your client and how much they are willing to spend.

Latest posts