Maintenance free connectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterspurs

Reaction score
Hi
Are there any maintenance free Lever type connectors like the wago 221 series that are classed as maintenance free when not in their own enclosure.
I have only come across the non lever type
Thanks

Hi
Are there any maintenance free Lever type connectors like the wago 221 series that are classed as maintenance free when not in their own enclosure.
I have only come across the non lever type
Thanks
Wago do make boxes for their connectors, I find these fiddly to use, so tend to use an adaptable Wiska box

I think part of the requirement of being MF is that the cable must be restrained, by something other than the connection, so don't think the non lever type can be classed as MF.

Those Wago boxes are nasty I just use Wiska with suitable glands as above with non lever connectors.

Which ones do you think are nasty, I find they beat all expectations, admittedly the multi entry box's are a bit big, but still excellent IMO.

As long as the cables are secured by some suitable method to prevent the connections pulling apart then the actual manufacturer of the enclosure is irrelevant in my opinion.

e.g. any box with a built in cable clamp of some sort...
Or cables that enter an enclosure that are fixed / clipped to a wall/beam etc.. will also prevent any reasonably expected mechanical stress on the joint causing it to fail..

At the end of the day, if someone decides to saw through a cable joint, or melt it with a gas torch, or put completely unreasonable strain on any joint it will fail...

In my opinion, our design and installation choices are all about applying a bit of common sense based around the guidance of BS7671...

e.g my summarised checklist is probbably something like:-

1/ are the selected connectors suitably rated for the max current the joint may carry?
2/ are the connectors designed to accept the physical conductor size(s) required?
3/ are the selected connectors suitable for the type of conductor, solid/flex?
4/ is the enclosure big enough to accommodate all the connectors required for the joint(s)?
5/ is it suitably mechanically and electrically robust for the external influences of the environment you are installing it in?
6/ are the cables restrained by some sort of cable clamp/gland/clip/strap/other fixing method?
7/ have you done suitable due diligence to minimise any danger to people property & livestock?

I don't recall any directive stating that particular cable manufactures or connector manufactures joints must be made with specific makes of enclosure?

Just the... "don't go using screw terminal joints in locations that will become inaccessible for reasonably expected required access for later inspection and testing".

I have used all sorts of Wagos in numerous types of enclosure as and when needed!

I think part of the requirement of being MF is that the cable must be restrained, by something other than the connection, so don't think the non lever type can be classed as MF.
Yes that was what I was told to be classed as MF it’s about the enclosure holding the lever down as such
Keep using the push in is the only way I guess

Yes that was what I was told to be classed as MF it’s about the enclosure holding the lever down as such
Keep using the push in is the only way I guess
All of the Wago enclosures I have used when closed do hold the lever down, even the large ones have slots for the Wago connector to go into which would prevent the lever opening, are there any others? Been retired over ten years things may have changed.

Latest posts