March Newsletter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  The NICEIC March newsletter duly appeared ,................................

I'm starting to feel that we are under a constant barrage of alterations, new Regs, changes to the last new Regs, alterations to Part Pee ,  HSE warnings of fines,  etc. etc. ect.   

Do you know , I'm getting sick and tired of it all TBH .  I've been in the trade for many, many years ( too many you may think) and I don't recall getting  this amount of incoming .

Just recalling :-

You must attain at least C&G A    

Apprenticeship is from 15th to 21st birthday.

JIB Grading arrives.

Enforced Union membership because of "closed shop working"  

14th edition Metric.

Industry goes metric.

15th Edition.

16th Edition.   (Course reqd.)

That was the first 100 years , then it began in earnest  with the 17th. . Every edition of the trade counter mag has dire warnings about something or other , same with the ECA , the NIC newsletters .

I'm rapidly losing interest.

Time to pop a can of Bank's Mild and get the old guitar out .

OK guys here we go ...........  do you know any Woody Guthrie songs ?      How about some skiffle then ,,,Hey man I'm heading down that Rock Island Line ......hic !     hic!  

If you listen carefully you can hear cut throat razors being stropped for the purpose of wrist slitting, meanwhile Leonard Cohen can be heard in the distance. On the wall are advertising posters for Blakely Tape, Alex Plugs, 1 3/4. 7s, flooring saws, hand drills braces and augers!

BUT I do agree with everything you have said.

I have followed near enough the same route as you but I also did A levels, ONC in Senior Engineering and 3 years at University

Being back the fourteenth edition PIRs....one page of A5.........simples!

What about the fifteenth where we had to put the length of cables on installation Certs! WTF was that in aid of?

One day. You HAD to bond. H&C to kitchen sinks.........quick revision of regs and THEN you don't.

Oh Blimey ..yes.. I'd forgotten all that carp ....if it doesn't salute back ..bond it . 

We did a housing job for the City back in the day , but couldn't bond the sink tops as they weren't fitted ,.... so the C.O.W wouldn't sign that flat off....so we didn't get paid for it as it was unfinished.  

Forget 100 GIs a week being killed in  Vietnam , don't worry about the Commies in East Germany ....the most important thing in the world were these sinks having no bond connected.... as we'd left site and sinks were appearing spasmodically....everyone carping themselves because the sinks are fitted but not bonded.

So someone has to go back and bond a sink , what did he find ?  No means of attaching the cable .  So the sparks leaves site .  Still not paid for any units. Plumbers not interested in sorting it , C.O.W  tells us we have to sort it .   We are saying if sink is not there when we are then the plumber should do it . 

So back we go armed with some 6mm pins and nuts  , ram hole in the return edge and attach earth bond  .  Another site  inquest as the bolt is "ugly" ...load of suits standing round looking at it .........another 100 GIs killed in Vietnam .  

They won't accept that the top is bonded to the pipework by the tap locknuts ..you have to have a green cable .  

Then move swiftly into the future and you can forget all that ...not doing it any more ...same with those metal window frames ,...forget it ....thank you !...as you were!.....  ....    don't mention the war ..I did but I think I got away with it !!! 

Now whats next ....ah wonderfull!!!!     ....Change all the cable colours ... and whats that ...oh .. the Black is now a phase ...so whats the Neutral then?..........  Ah !  A phase colour ..Blue ..Ok...right .. thats perhaps the best yet .

(Copyright :-   Bob Newhart ,,,, Walter Raliegh tobaco sketch.)

Last edited by a moderator:
And today this tears invoice arrived for NICEIC

PRICE FROZEN FOR FIFTH YEAR RUNNING! It says on the begging letter....all cheques payable to the Emma Clancy World Domination Fund

Sooooooo, they either overcharged so much 4 years ago that they are too embarrassed to admit it, or the fees are going to go up astronomically next time as there will be no link to inflation AND. There is the free software to pay for, and the ELECSA Wedding, and and and.....

Just ranting

The new test software will be web based and you just need to pay for the certificate, however what if you cannot get an internet connection.

If you can only get 2G will the pages load I wonder, it sounds good but will it be.

Well, they keep putting back the release date. Was to be November with a release date to the great unwashed of December.

Now at the end of the first week in march and so far, zilch, nada, diddly-squit, nowt
Did you get email asking if you wanted to trial it, a couple of weeks ago.

I declined got enough issues with the NICEIC Click iPad software, so buggy its a joke.

Sparks I know of applied to enlist and the guy pulled him  on the prongs on his testers being more than 4mm protruding from the insulation .  Pathetic !!

Replacing them to comply .   More cash .