MCB question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom79

Reaction score
Short circuit capacity.

the max amount of current the MCB is designed to disconnect safely without MCB exploding.

ie. the Max Prospective short circuit fault current if a direct L-N short was put across the MCB.

6kA = 6000Amp

See pages 56 & 57 On site guide for more info.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the breaking capacity, so the maximum current it can handle (or is tested to handle) is 6000A!
Bit Slow there Patch? ]:)

Yeeehaaaa!!!!!!!!

I did it

I did it

I did it

I did it

I did it

ROTFWLROTFWLApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I beat patch!!! ]:) :^O :^O:^O

Ah I see, so the choice of the MCB's rating here would have something to do with the results on a prospective fault current test i would assume... cheers special locations, you are a walking OSG! Guiness Drink

You sure are, i think you need an electricans mate to share all that knowledge with! Guiness Drink

Thanks apache, ill give that a read.

Ah I see, so the choice of the MCB's rating here would have something to do with the results on a prospective fault current test i would assume... cheers special locations, you are a walking OSG! Guiness Drink
Yes

you got it Tom!

The short circuit capacity of ALL protective devices MUST be greater than your measured PFC

It's no good having a device that can only handle 3000amps

if your PFC is 5000amps! cuz the MCB would explode not disconnect the circuit safely!

6kA is adequate for most parts of the country...

But I believe it says somewhere that parts of London need 10kA rating due to higher PFC's down the big city! ;)

I have to agree Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Now now GH!Blushing:|

I would like to agree with

:D

you but the fact is........... :|

It is easy to appear good when you are mixing with so many other GOOD electricy type persons on this ere forum! :x

Its a bit like the old Football......

ONE reasonably talented player cannot win the game on his own...

But when you put a bunch of reasonably talented players together the Product is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

IMHO... we ALL compliment each others individual skills, occasionally one may do a fancy move

and a bit latter someone else does an equally fancy move...

Each as good as the other, complimenting and working together...

so in actual fact the correction should be...

Specs

www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk

is too damn good

Applaud Smiley:xApplaud Smiley:xApplaud Smiley:xApplaud Smiley:x

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink