Mcb trip problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shed do you want a loan of my tong tester, you can set it to min max, leave it for a while and see if it actually does draw a high current.
That's really good of you to offer roys.... What make and model number is it I'll have a look online at it.... I have a t5-100 fluke but I don't think it has that option.....

Send me model number please...

Evans - it's MTN 132 Hager.... I have a C type coming today and was going to try that so at least I'd know its not from the same batch.....

Tong tester ... Is that a clamp meter ? Think my cheapo dilog 6507 does min and max hold too but not sure how to work it lol

Try IRing the circuit again. Could it be a live leg has been nicked by a socket screw and the copper is sometimes in contact with the screw, other times not?
That would trip the Rcd not the mcb wouldn't it ?

I went to an RCD tripping problem last week. Went straight to the pond pump first and IR tested L&N to E and it was fine. Measured leakage and was 0.2mA so no problem there. Went onto the big black box which was filtering water from the fish pond and putting it back in. Started measuring leakage by clamping L&N together without the CPC and it was leaking 2mA at first, left it clamped and watched the meter and after about 5 mins the leakage increased up and up until it reached 23mA which it tripped. Id ramped the RCD before and knew it would trip at 23mA. Just thought id share that with you :)

Any loose fittings, poorly fitted face plates etc? Not very scientific but go round and have a "wiggle" (I mean by that a proper visual inspection on top of the tests:)). One particular socket I had once where masses of cable had been bunched up so when the face was screwed down it forced the cores against the sharp edge of the knock-out. No RCD on that one but a nice short every time the hoover lead gave it a tug.

(p.s. Wasn't my house cos that would mean the hoover got used...........)

Last edited by a moderator:
I`m going to have to go back to my old sig., which our Albert reminded me of the other day......

"If you have a problem , and you don`t know what it causing it........

Do more testing" :)

The right test, at the right location, WILL locate the fault.

That's really good of you to offer roys.... What make and model number is it I'll have a look online at it.... I have a t5-100 fluke but I don't think it has that option..... Send me model number please...

QUOTE]

Hi Shed, away from my home just now, so won't be able to check model number for a week. However you are more than welcome to borrow it, if that is not too late for you. I do know that it is a good one but I hardly use it as I use the one that is an attachement for my Fluke multimeter. Less kit to carry about.

Latest posts