meter problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox1e

Reaction score
hi can anyone help with a problem that i have,
I changed from a sunny boy inverter to a growatt and battery system.
I used the old meter [Elster A100C ] that was on my old system to record my solar produced to submit my FIT readings.
All was well until i force charged my battery overnight on economy 7 due to insufficient solar and found that my meter was registering the battery discharged as solar produced and giving false readings.
my meter is wired in line between the inverter and my mains supply
My question is do I need a different sort of meter which can differentiate between solar produced and battery discharged or do i need to alter the wiring somehow.
Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated , I am a retired contracting electrician who used to work on the oil and gas sector so not used to this area of expertise

I'm fairly sure you will have invalidated any FIT agreement you had by modifying your system. When I do my FIT readings I have to declare every time that my system hasn't been modified.

Put the Sunny boy back in and wire the growatt on a separate supply. You can get away with your current set up provided you only charge the battery from your solar array. Your fit provider will notice if you keep charging from grid and discharging through your fit meter, and as Geoff says, this invalidates your fit agreement.