Meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloan Lec

Reaction score
I have been sub contacting to a electrical contractor carrying out work in new builds , they are telling me to run cables from meters to db over 3m, with no over current protection , some runs are 10m plus , I personally have Said run in 25mm swa or put kmf after the meter , what are your thorghts? 

I have been sub contacting to a electrical contractor carrying out work in new builds , they are telling me to run cables from meters to db over 3m, with no over current protection , some runs are 10m plus , I personally have Said run in 25mm swa or put kmf after the meter , what are your thorghts? 

Cost cutting and ignoring the regs ....

are these tails protected in any way ?

I would say theres little point in using SWA unless the route requires it, concealed less than 50mm in a wall etc and you'd still need a switchfuse in order to nicely terminate it (so try and avoid concealing the submain in a wall)

If you go over the length allowed by the DNO (normally 3m) then you need to put in own overcurrent protection, SWA is not an alternative to this, and gives you the added complication of theres no nice way to terminate at the meter,

So if run is over 3m then put switchfuse in (Not SWA)

If concealed less than 50mm in wall, run in SWA and put suitable switchfuse to terminate SWA in (The KMF ones are no good for SWA)

Both may apply, or just one. If neither apply, eg. tails less than 3m not concealed, then use tails directly.

At the Moment there is no kmf in place , sine of these plots are being lived in now and sold , I feel the home owners need to be notified and the additional work carried out ! These big companies don’t care once sold! 

These houses are are basically not legal , they all need kmf /switch fuse to comply with regs as I thought  

Just to raise another issue  for discussion ...how far does a sub -contractor  or an employee  for that matter , go ,  in a situation like this ,   the electrical contractor who is being paid to wire these houses properly  is responsible  for his operatives  doing stuff correctly .   ....Or is he ???   

Does the Subbie raise the issue with his employer , who no doubt doesn't want to hear it & may start looking at you as a trouble maker .  

Regulations have you by the  spheres  with domestic  meter tails .

Over  3 m  and the DNO regs demand you fit your own overcurrent  device .

Meter tails in walls must be 50mm deep or more.

if not you need to fit an RCD at the mains   along with the  overcurrent protection . 

Or you run the tails in surface trunking .   

I had to do this on the last one ,  enclosure has an 60A  fuse  plus 100A switch ........ but they will only connect to the switch below it so two main switches 

Photo0484.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to raise another issue  for discussion ...how far does a sub -contractor  or an employee  for that matter , go ,  in a situation like this ,   the electrical contractor who is being paid to wire these houses properly  is responsible  for his operatives  doing stuff correctly .   ....Or is he ???   

Does the Subbie raise the issue with his employer , who no doubt doesn't want to hear it & may start looking at you as a trouble maker .  

I would like to think that he would be able to raise the issue with the qualifying supervisor of the firm with the contract and expect that the issue would be properly considered / hopefully a site visit undertaken and any issues with the way the work is being carried out would then get highlighted to the relevant contracts manager and suitable changes would be made to ensure the job is compliant. On the flip side, if he raised something that was actually ok, but the subbie thought not, he should be able to get a clear explanaion of why it is how it is, and why that is actually ok, etc............ However, In smaller firms, where the QS duties are on the owner etc, might end up viewing the issue as secondary to profits however!

Well I remember doing new builds 5 year ago and being told that an SWA sub main can now be fitted without the switch fuse. I raised this with the company director as I was only so subbie. Apparently this had been ok’d with the DNO’s and the electrical industry. 
we were supplied with an earth clamp termination for the Swa at the intake cupboard. Similar to this 

https://www.cablejoints.co.uk/sub-product-details/street-lighting-charles-endirect/charles-endirect-central-earth-terminal-swa-cables

checked it out with NIC at the time as it was their certs being used and they agreed it was a done deal? 
so much for the Regs :C  good job they’re not law I guess??? 

I would say theres little point in 

If concealed less than 50mm in wall, run in SWA and put suitable switchfuse to terminate SWA in (The KMF ones are no good for SWA)

With the addition of a small adaptable box you can suitably terminate an SWA into a KMF type switchfuse unit. 

True, I should have said the KMF ones cannot natively accodate SWA.

Not sure I'd mess about like that though, after the extra effort of mounting two items, slotting the adapt box for the cores is it really going to be much cheaper than the lewden ones: https://www.superlecdirect.com/p-fs6380100-lewden-100amp-spandn-single-pole-and-neutral-fused-isolator-switch/

You save about £20 on the switchfuse, probably spend a fiver of that on adapt box. So you save £15 on materials but have a bit more messing about to do, if you say it takes an extra 15 minutes at £32/hr billable time thats £8 gone. I'm not sure its all worth it to offer the customer a £7 saving!