Millennials ????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Millennials .   A word I am not familiar with  .     Why would you call  someone a Millennial  unless perhaps he was born in the year 2000.  ?

The following is from a small article in the latest  NICEIC Connections   Magazine.   Page 66.  

More than half the Millennials -  those born between 1981 & 1996 - struggle to recognise common tools  or explain their purpose according to a study by  MyJobQuote.     :C   

73%  of those aged between 25 & 35  were flummoxed by a spirit level , 65% unable to recognise a hacksaw and 60%  puzzled by a wrench  .  

The hammer & screwdriver were the only tools Millennials could identify .    

The use of the word "Wrench"  may  prove this to be from the US ,  I don't know .       I find it hard to believe ,  although I do notice that a number of youngsters  appear to have  very poor practical skills .

Ah  right  !   Just so we all know  .

Generation Y  or Gen Y is the demographic cohort  following  Gen X  & preceding  Gen Z .

Millenials are referred to as Echo Boomers   and are the  children  of Baby Boomers .

Millenials are often parents of  Generation Alpha .

So know we know .  

Ah  right  !   Just so we all know  .

Generation Y  or Gen Y is the demographic cohort  following  Gen X  & preceding  Gen Z .

Millenials are referred to as Echo Boomers   and are the  children  of Baby Boomers .

Millenials are often parents of  Generation Alpha .

So know we know .  

What does that make us?

generation “old” ?😃

I think being 1963 I am not old enough to be a "baby boomer" so god know what that makes me (a not quite so old grumpy git)

The first time I went to the USA I found they described an adjustable wrench spanner  as an "English Key"

I thought a monkey wrench was slang for the large pipe fitters' adjustable that I also know as Stillsons, (the latter possibly a brand name.)

My Dad also used to refer to a hammer as a Birmingham screwdriver but that could be just a Lancashire saying.

I'm not quite sure if its right  but I always see the word  "Wrench"  as more common in the US  for  any kind of spanner. 
Yes i think you are right , wrench is a yankey word ,I was only saying the we had monkey wrench 

It could be from across the pond  but it is still a "monkey "wrench   

It's a shifter, or shifting spanner if you want to get technical in this neck of the woods 

King Dick and Britool, my favourite brands for sockets and spanners, (except for adjustable spanners which have to be Bahco) used to have more until some scummy git broke into my shed 20 years ago and nicked my apprentice made toolbox that was home to my sockets and spanners.

Could you measure cable with it  by drawing it through somehow?     The gearing would convert it to yards  & feet   :C      Theres a pointer  on each measuring disc  th give the final result .     Never seen anything like that . 

The bottom end of the shaft has a peg through it , which could attach  to a spigot with a cable drum revolving on it and it would measure how much cable is left .    The spindle would revolve but not the handle .