Missing consumer unit cover

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrician786

Reaction score
I went to a job yesterday and found a missing consumer unit cover, when I asked the tenant and landlord they said they know nothing about it. I have told the landlord he either needs to find the cover or pay for a new consumer unit. The CU is in a cupboard and the landlord suggested putting a lock on the cupboard so no one could get access to it accept the landlord. I said that if a breaker or rcd ever tripped then he would have to be contacted to reset the device. Anyway my question is, do you think what the landlord has suggested is a good or bad idea?

The blokes' a pr@t ...just doesn't want to spend his money ,and will risk lives to that end.

But whats new in this world ... " Hey I have a great idea ...lets use asbestos in all these buildings"

I've been to a property in the past with exactly the same problem and solution by the DIYer who lost the covers for two units, wish I'd taken a picture nice cabinet high up on living room wall opened it to find a Crabtree star breaker unit with no cover and a nice shines exposed busbar.

Second board was a 4 way GE unit with missing cover fitted inside a kitchen unit.

I replaced both boards for new apparently the clients late husband was a very keen DIYer who did all the electrics in the house.

I have told the landlord that I will change the consumer unit only if he does not want that then he can find someone else to do his job. Even if that means losing all the work he gives me.

Considering a non-covered busbar in a CU with full cover is cat 1 defect (which I never quite understood logic of), then no cover is complete disaster. Stand your ground. You may be able to get empty CU of same make and just replace cover??

Is it ? I don't understand how ? It isn't immediately dangerous, and it's hardly an exposed conductive part with the lid on, and manufacturers instructions says isolate DB before removing front cover, so I wouldn't even c3 it.

I have told the landlord that I will change the consumer unit only if he does not want that then he can find someone else to do his job. Even if that means losing all the work he gives me.
I would have sent a written report of the dangers posted to the landlord and have it signed for..

Tell him to read some to the ESC guidance for landlords.

If someone I knew was living in a rented property with an open CU I would be taking action against them for endangering their tenants and not taking a reasonable duty of care for the property and those using the property.

Ring the ECS or NIC or NAPIT or ECA or BSI or whoever ask them what level of danger an open CU is??

BAD idea

have you issued an EDN?? If not, why not?

As there is a tenant in place this should be rectified ASAP.

What make is the CU? You never know, if your wholesaler talks to the relevant area rep you may be able to source a new cover. What about a second hand cover??

I had this with a volex board. sent an email to them and they sent out a replacement cover FOC (to me anyway!)

I've had this kind of problem only once with an owner occupier

I added a new CU as I had to do some emergency repairs to a couple of circuits and add a new circuit, when it came to the lights I found that they were VIR and supplied from an old ceramic (L&N) fused board with a rotary isolator on the side..... also no lid

In the end they wouldn't allow me to rewire the lights into the new CU so I fitted wire links in the N fuses and fitted an adaptable box with the back cut out over the fuse board - warning stickers and written warnings on front cover,,, also EDN issued

Is it ? I don't understand how ? It isn't immediately dangerous, and it's hardly an exposed conductive part with the lid on, and manufacturers instructions says isolate DB before removing front cover, so I wouldn't even c3 it.
It has always intigued me, but it is dangerous to us sparks when working in CU, so I'm glad about it. Check PIR guides if you don't believe me, though they might have changed since I last looked

I think the OP means the front casing of the CU not just the flap that covers the MCB/RCDs

Yeah I got that apache, I went off on a bit of a side tangent, binky said that the little busbar cover is a c1, I didn't know that was the case, I haven't checked.

Yeah I got that apache, I went off on a bit of a side tangent, binky said that the little busbar cover is a c1, I didn't know that was the case, I haven't checked.
It isn't the case...

as .....

1/ we all know that a traditional wylex CU with rewirable semi enclosed fuses is still an acceptable unit to house protective devices...

Many of these do not and have never had secondary internal barriers over the bus-bar!

2/Have a look at page 18 of the ESC best practice guide..

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BestPracticeGuide4-Locked.pdf

Where it specifically says that absence of barriers inside a CU, providing the cover has to be removed with a tool..

is NOT a departure..

and therefore has NO coding required!!

:C

Last edited by a moderator:
as I said it might have changed cos I haven't read it for years, or I read it wrong in the first place. Wylex boards aren't too bad because of the way the fuse carrires hang over most of busbar. Was working on a really old board not long ago with the big exposed mcb terminal screws and fully exposed busbar in a steel clad board - just don't regard these as safe to work on bar trivial work, at least not live!!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:23 ----------

as I said it might have changed cos I haven't read it for years, or I read it wrong in the first place. Wylex boards aren't too bad because of the way the fuse carrires hang over most of busbar. Was working on a really old board not long ago with the big exposed mcb terminal screws and fully exposed busbar in a steel clad board - just don't regard these as safe to work on bar trivial work, at least not live!!!
just read page 18, looks like it was written to clarify a misconception which I was obviously working under :innocent just don't expect any Nick Cleggs :^O