modern home wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainydays

Reaction score
I will be moving home in the not too distant future and will probably want to re-wire the place as the existing electrical installation is far from adequate for todays needs.

It may not all happen at once but i was thinking of running in the cables to various locations in order to utilise them at some point in the future.

apart from the usual suspects, power and lighting circuits etc, what would you install in your home now if you had the chance.

Looking for a bit of inspiration/ideas from those of you with more savvy than myself.

Many thanks for those who take the time to reply

If you want to future-proof then best to put in Cat6!
bit extreme for home use unless your thinking of have a kennedy space command centre in the spare bedroom :^O

If you've got any teenage kids (like me) then how about running separate ring mains to their bedrooms? - running the legs back to a 32A double pole switch in a lockable box downstairs fed from a 6mm T&E from the mains?. Then if they have their music/ TV etc on too loud then you can switch their power off.... : O) heh heh.

If you've got any teenage kids (like me) then how about running separate ring mains to their bedrooms? - running the legs back to a 32A double pole switch in a lockable box downstairs fed from a 6mm T&E from the mains?. Then if they have their music/ TV etc on too loud then you can switch their power off.... : O) heh heh.
Love it!

ROTFWL

Every home with kids should have this set up...

bit extreme for home use unless your thinking of have a kennedy space command centre in the spare bedroom :^O
With broadband speeds and demand for HD everything everywhere increasing as they are, it's not necessarily going to be all that OTT for very long!

Next step is supposedly 3d TV at home... where will it end!

You could also if you really wanted to allow for later installation of solar/wind turbine it seems to be a growing market and what with the goverment incentives (if they continue) making it even less expensive.......................... who knows

If you want to future-proof then best to put in Cat6!
Agreed.

Although they are currently working on the next WiFi standard and reckon it will hit the streets in a couple of years.

It "promises" wireless speeds of upto 7 Gigabits/sec at 60GHz frequency.

I would still stick with Cat6 though. You can't beat a wire IMO.

:Applaud :Applaud:Applaud

Does anyone have any guides on installing cat 6, i.e: how many cables to each point, what it can be used for etc. Never done anything like this before.

You install a seperate Cat6 cable to each point terminated into one of these:

CXCAT6M.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CXCAT6M.html

Wiring

1. White/Orange

2. Orange

3. White/Green

4. Blue

5. White/Blue

6. Green

7. White/Brown

8. Brown

You can't daisy chain them like telephone points because each point will need it's own IP address.

Run all your cables back to a central point with one of these terminated on each one.

CX215R.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX215R.html

There's plenty of videos on YouTube on how to install these. Just search for RJ45

Depending on how many cables you have you may need one of these:

l_00739729.jpg

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-fs608uk-8-port-ethernet-switch-00739729-pdt.html

If you only have 3 or 4 points they can plug straight into a router. If not they will need to go into the above Ethernet Switch (or something similar) and then a patch lead from the switch to the router. Either way, once you're done all your data points will have access to the internet and you will be able to share files etc. and stream music/video between computers.

It also helps to have a telephone point close by for the router to connect to the internet.

Your setup should be something like this:

diagram.jpg

Hope that helps.

I allmost did to my lads bedroom but missus talked me out of it:|