modular electrical systems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sparpend , still not impressed TBH .

Thing I saw was office lighting wired in circular flex to banks of sockets in ceiling spaces then light fittings with flexes and plugs . No different really to normal wiring and Plug-in Roses .

When I was at elex last year there was a firm called 'mainline' I think who done a system where you could add a socket anywhere needed. It was a track system where sockets could be put anywhere on the line. I thought it was a good idea but probably expensive

I work for Balfour Beatty, we do modular Wiring off site in a factor then ship it to site, it cheap, safe, maintenance free and the future they say, I think it degrading electricians as no electrician is need on site to install it.

I could see a positive use for flexible wiring arrangements in environments such as shopping centers with individual retail outlets that may be taken and vacated over a period of time by different types of end user, or rental office space, where the final client may be unknown during the construction of an office building, could benefit from a system that could quickly be adapted by some simple plug in modules. For smaller one-off bespoke installations the costs may be prohibitive and standard fixed wiring on site the most efficient solution.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was made at 06:53 ----------

Don't the Germans do a fair bit of prefabricated building construction with wiring and plumbing pre-built into wall sections that are just connected together on site. So almost as quickly as the building has its roof on, its plumbing and electrics are all ready to work.

Doc H.

They are Hoff Houses or something like that.

They have been trying to make modular systems work in domestic houses since I started in the trade, and I can remember my boss at the time saying in 30 years they won't be doing it like this, chopping out boxes and pulling cables in, but we are and its 40 years on. ;)