Motors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
Got a job to do tomorrow for another Electrician. I need to put in a 3ph supply to a Dist board for a Wood crusher thing. The run is about 50metres & he has given me 10mm 4 core SWA to do the job. It will be supplying x4 3KW motors & x1 6KW motor. Is this up to the job. Am I right in saying the motors will be drawing approx 45amps ?

is that the loading per phase!?!?!?!?!?

or in total?

assuming in total then personally I would think possibly pushing it(no calcs done)

I would deffo put something bigger in, without even working out loadings /volt drop etc.

but if your only doing what your told then so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked & 10mm 4 core can take 73 amps so it should be ok.

remember that you will prob be using type C protection and will have a lot lower Zs to ashere to, also the motor start up could be quite significant, deffo would want to be throwing in a bit of 16mm at least IMHO.

10mm 4 core is more than enough in my opinion, providing that it is 415v and not 230v!

I would just be concerned about the Zs, especially if it is a TN S install, could be hard getting the final circuits to comply if they are quite a bit from source, as OP would suggest by his sub main length.

25A type C is only something like 0.92 if I remember rightly,

assuming a decent Ze of maybe 0.45 then that doesnt allow much for 50m + final circuit=0.47 , not a lot, I dont have my book handy, can some look at the resistance of 10mm copper please?

Just checked & 10mm 4 core can take 73 amps so it should be ok.
dont know where you get that value from

BRB says 10mm 4 core 3 phase SWA can take 62A ref method E (free air, perforated tray). only 58 & 50A for other methods.

VD being 3.8mV/A/m

dont forget that motors will have a large start up current and may need larger cable to cover start up VD

and C25 is 0.92 ohms

If its 230 volts

Required Cable Size 16 mm

Voltage Drop 7.39 Volts.

Percentage Drop 3.2%

Current Load 59.1 Amps

Max Cable Load* 94.0 Amps

If its 415v

Required Cable Size 4 mm

Voltage Drop 16.4 Volts.

Percentage Drop 3.9%

Current Load 32.8 Amps