MR16; easy swap to LED?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circuitandc

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a job to replace some decorative downlights(green MR16) and have elected to use LED. Is it easy to swap them over or are there issues with the transformer rating?

sorry but i have no information about the existing transformers.

Thanks.

here's an additional thought, would it be possible to link in more fittings to up the total wattage, possibly removing the need for lower powered transformers? :C

here's an additional thought, would it be possible to link in more fittings to up the total wattage, possibly removing the need for lower powered transformers? :C
LV lamps use transformers. LED lighting uses drivers. They are not the same.

Concur. In my experience, although the new MR16 LED lamps will feed from a standard tranny, I prefer the GU10 variant. Apparently they`re okay, IF the existing trannies are "0-"wattage, IYKWIM/

KME

if the mr16 have built in led driver you should be able to run off a 20-60 watt 12volt ac trannie.

but you might have to run 3 or more leds off 1 trannie due to loading issues (it makes the led light flicker otherwise)

Latest posts