Multifunction Meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s your experience of MFT’s?
whats your budget?
Bit of a beginner to be honest, I’ve been sparking for 40 years but always subbed to commercial/industrial projects where testing was carried out by others.
Domestics back in the 80’s were very different.
I am JIB have my 18th edition and I am waiting for a date for my practical to complete my 2391-52.
Preferably a new unit with a budget of under a grand would be ideal.
Thanks guys

Last edited:
Try test meter in Leeds. They offer a good range

I would be making sure that the MFT can test as many types of RCD as possible

I’m a Metrel fan btw

Fluke and older Meggers are generally regarded as the way to go, but I'm possibly out of date as I have an older Megger that my calibrater tells me to hang on to. I haven't looked at MFT since I bought that one 17years ago.

Hi, I’m looking for a new multifunction meter for mainly EICR’s… any advice most appreciated?

Reality tends to be a conglomeration of Budget + What you are familiar with.....

ALL test meters have to operate within specified tolerances, so they will give you suitable readings to comply with BS7671...

But the bottom line is...
Are you happy with how they work?..
The readings they give?
How much the cost...
How easy to get calibration testing done...
etc..

It might be worth asking about repair arrangements too.
A few years ago we had a lovely Metrel PAT tester. Calibration wasn't a problem, but when it developed a fault it had to go to some far-flung overseas location (maybe Lithuania if my memory serves me), for repair. This was going to be expensive and it was expected to be away for many weeks. I've no idea if that still applies to Metrel instruments.

It might be worth asking about repair arrangements too.
A few years ago we had a lovely Metrel PAT tester. Calibration wasn't a problem, but when it developed a fault it had to go to some far-flung overseas location (maybe Lithuania if my memory serves me), for repair. This was going to be expensive and it was expected to be away for many weeks. I've no idea if that still applies to Metrel instruments.
Metrel's HQ is in Slovenia so it's likely it went there for repair

My 61557 was serviced and calibrated and parts were replaced earlier this year and it was away for less than a week so I think they do repairs in the UK now

My 61557 was serviced and calibrated and parts were replaced earlier this year and it was away for less than a week so I think they do repairs in the UK now

They've done most repairs in the UK for about 8 years now, anything "unusual" goes back the Solvenia.

Metrel UK is in Epson which is handy for me :)

They've done most repairs in the UK for about 8 years now, anything "unusual" goes back the Solvenia.

Metrel UK is in Epson which is handy for me :)
I can't fault the customer service from Brendan and the team at Metrel over the last 8 - 10 months, I finally bit the bullet on a 3152 kit which when first plugged into the MESM software decided it needed a firmware update which failed and bricked it less than 24 hours after purchase, Brendan at Metrel emailed all the firmware tools and talked me through a few attempts at a recovery which failed and then he arranged for a new 3152 kit to be shipped for delivery the following day and as I was working away and some of the kit was at home he arranged to collect the failed unit the following week at which time I had also arranged for my old 61557 to be serviced so that was collected in the same parcel saving me the shipping cost

Latest posts