N - E Fault on TNS Supply?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeckyLad1990

Reaction score
Hi All,

Right, I have a very strange fault occurring so I'll start from the beginning.

I have recently carried out a consumer unit change from an old rewireable to a new split load RCD protected consumer unit. So I had changed the board and put new meter tails in.

I have tested all the installation cabling and it would be classed as satisfactory (it's not perfect considering it's over 35 years old).

When it came to energising the board, I switched on the main switch and the two RCD's (63A 30mA) first then started energising the circuits. However when I energised the first circuit ( in this case a shower ) the RCD tripped. So knowing that there could be an issue with that particular circuit I tested another circuit (in this second instance it was a feed to a bell transformer with no earth as it was double insulated) and disconnected all other circuits including neutrals and earths and bonding leaving only the main earth. So now it was just a bell transformer on a 6A MCB connected to a 63A 30mA RCD connected to the 100A main switch and off to the cut-out. Once again the RCD tripped instantly.

I carried out a Ze which came back as 0.30 ohms which would likely be classed as a ‘pass’ from the DNO even though it's quite close to the limit.

I swapped the RCD’s around in case one was faulty, but it still tripped.

I checked the supply polarity and that too was correct.

I am genuinely stumped by the fault, all I can assume is that maybe there is a neutral - earth fault on the incoming supply?

If this is the case whats the solution? Would the DNO have to repair the cable?

I’d appreciate any help you all could give.

I carried out a Ze which came back as 0.30 ohms which would likely be classed as a ‘pass’ from the DNO even though it's quite close to the limit.

0.30 is nowhere near the limit of 0.8...

N-E fault on DNO network cant cause this. almsot all DNO networks that are TNS are really TNCS with multiple N-E connections. most likely you have a fault with the installation. either a N-E fault or a shared neutral

I swapped the RCD’s around in case one was faulty, but it still tripped.

What.. why... WTGrape..??

why not just test the RCD's as per the guidance of BS7671..

(e.g. no loads connected.. )

Random swapping stuff really is amateur DIY concept..

Sounds like you have configured your outdated split load board wrong..

or you have undetected fault(s) on your wiring..

Very, very, very simple to test RCD's with no loads direct at the CU..

:C