National Grid

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont get ya mate .. what do you mean lol. Just filled out online application for them and wondered if anyone works for them and if they were any good to work for. cheers

Ah sorry , silly me !!! I thought you had a query about the Grid and saw the background depiction of the high tension pylons on the opening page of this Forum . I,m not aware of anyone working for the grid on here, but you never know, someone might. Sorry for the confusion, most of us are mere sparkies who avoid anything over 400 volts.

Yes SinewaveAndyGuiness Drink
He's not recent, Zee. He means the other chap. His username escapes me. Sorry!. :(

are we talking about me ? B-)

i work for central networks,

as for national grid, we have done a lot of work with them be it trainning at there academy in Eakring and Manchester on the OHL and grid subs, to actully being out in the feild with them at grid subs conecting to the HV network.

and not forgeting the national grid gas lads when we slip up and go threw the pipes.

before moveing to CN i did a bit of training what was then transco but stil owned by national grid, that was in the NTS control and instrmentation at windsor street birmingham and the PMC center at saltley.

that was fun times, great bach then, but a lot as changed recently.

used to have standby + sleeptime

no more its a rota, and salary basicly works out 6-12 shift or 12-6 shift standby, then normal day work,

get your own vans tools ect when you have completed training and become a craftsperson.

the trainning is in my eyes some of the best out there and they do invest quite alot in there students, they dont see you as just another chap, you treat you on a more one to one personal basis,

as with everything especily the big compneys h&s is very very high, you get the joys (on gas and OHL/sub) double nomex overalls, hivis ect ect. on a hot day not the best of things

on the OHL you get a flash suit to, again very very hot on a warm day but needs must i spose.

over all as a student perfect to work for, once you am threw all that, kiss goodbye to personal one to one, lucky if you meet your manger once a month, same with the yards most am just a steel container in the middle of nowhere or there best one, a old gas tower site.

they have good points and bad points.

the lads you work with most am olduns will teach you a hell of a lot, continual trainning always updateing you, your little team you work with pick up a few good mates along the way many for life, cause most of the time you am putting your life in there hands to be honnest.

you havent said what part of NG you have applied for, OHL's you will also be expected to travel over to usa if needed on the networks there, and the work is very demanding, theres not to many faults but when one is expect all of you to be on it no matter where it is.

i wouldent go back to them, to much change has happned, but as someone starting out new there a big name, not all is bad, just wait for it to all wear off once they got you

best of luck