need and tester

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parm999

Reaction score
hi, iv recently qualified as a domestic installer and needed some advice on which tester to buy. my tutor suggested buying a fluke multifunction tester as they are very easy to use but i took a look at the prices and they are way to expensive. could anyone suggest a tester for me?

Agree with Andy Kewtech are probably cheapest and not bad testers from what ive seen (havent used one tho so cant really comment)

Ive got a Megger which is really easy to use but about

I have a Fluke 1653 & have used the Megger 1502 both are good test units & much of a muchness.

But dont get put off from purchasing the individual testers, so long as you remember to get one with Dloc. Some deals to be had on fleabay or ask at your local wholesaler if anybody has a unit for sale.

hi, iv recently qualified as a domestic installer and needed some advice on which tester to buy. my tutor suggested buying a fluke multifunction tester as they are very easy to use but i took a look at the prices and they are way to expensive. could anyone suggest a tester for me?
Not being funny but how did you qualify without having a tester? ?:|

Not being funny but how did you qualify without having a tester? ?:|
I'm guessing 5 day/3 week course?

Welcome btw. Can only speak for the Megger 310 really, which is easy to use.

The Fluke though(not sure if it's the same on all models?), has the advantage of having the test button on the probe, so you don't need 3 hands.

I'm guessing 5 day/3 week course?Welcome btw. Can only speak for the Megger 310 really, which is easy to use.

The Fluke though(not sure if it's the same on all models?), has the advantage of having the test button on the probe, so you don't need 3 hands.
Many fasttrack courses - you use their testers (which are provided) so quite a few people are qualified but havent got their own tester yet.

My Megger MFT1552 does all the tests automatically (apart from IR) and also has the probe thingy with the test button on it. Havent used it tho. So dont need three hands with that tester either. :)

Cheers

Welcome to the forum Parm999. I presume you are looking at self employment? In which case it is unfortunately a fact of life that there are quite a few initial start up cost which do take a bit out of your pocket. It sounds as though funds are limited at the moment, all I would suggests is double check any other essential costs you need to cover before finally assessing what budget is available for buying a tester.

• Test equipment,
  • Insurance,
  • Part-P approved contractor membership fees,
  • Various books, certificates, etc..
  • Plus the normal tools, advertising, transport etc..
Some hire shops provide electrical test gear for hire, which may be another sort term solution while getting yourself going.

Doc H.

I've got a Megger 1502... doesn't have triploc, but I can cope with that!

I have had a go of a Fluke MFT and couldn't get to grips with it.. I didn't like the way you have to select the tests! But maybe that's just me??

Ive had a go of a fluke and agree with Noz on that one but maybe it was because i was used to Megger and found them very easy to use. :)

How old are you Parm999 if you dont mind me asking?

At college up until a few weeks ago we have only used Megger MIT320s for continuaty testing and IR tests, but now we are doing RCD testing using A Robin RCD test unit, I have seen they also have a Fluke model unknown as we havnt been let loose on it yet, but I am a fan of the Megger so far.

Parm it may be well worth hiring a few different manufurers of testers on your first 3-4 jobs to see if you actually like the tester. That way you know that you have bought the correct tester for you. Not the cheapest option but everyone has their preferences on this subject and whats good for one may not be good for you.

AndyGuinness

Not being funny but how did you qualify without having a tester?
Many fasttrack courses - you use their testers (which are provided) so quite a few people are qualified but havent got their own tester yet.
In my days college electrical Dept's had testers available as well...

Just meant it was a bit harder to familiarise yourself with a particular meter...

when the following time at college the model you last used is already in use and you end up with the crap one no-one ever wants with the dodgy leads...

:|

Hello Parm999...

As some of the others have said try and make sure you have physically seen the beastie you want to purchase..

and have a 'test-drive' figuring out which leads go where and what buttons or dials you have to set for particular functions....

Don't forget things like Auto testing of RCD's...

wasn't quite such as time saver on a single RCD split load 16th ed board...

But it could save a bit of time with modern 17th ed fully RCD / RCBO protected boards.

Welcome

have you been over to introduce yourself a bit more yet?

:) :coffee

For what it's worth, and will only mean anything if you remember or have heard of Robin, the Kewtech equipment is made by Kyoritsu, they are they same company that made all the Robin kit. So if you liked the quality of Robin then Kewtech should be ok. :Welcome:

For what it's worth, and will only mean anything if you remember or have heard of Robin, the Kewtech equipment is made by Kyoritsu, they are they same company that made all the Robin kit. So if you liked the quality of Robin then Kewtech should be ok. :Welcome:
I still have a set of three and just had my loop test calibrated so i can check supplies if they seem a bit dodgy. I did here Robin are going to start producing meters again shortly.

Hi Batty, Robin sold out to Fluke who now own the name, Kewtech have the uk distribution for the products. Up until just recently Fluke still sold the Single function testers but they have now stopped, so if you see a robin meter in a yellow case it was made for Fluke and if it is grey it was made for Kewtech, I hope this makes any sence or is worth posting!

Hi parm,

i bought a megger 1552 from ebay, year old for 310 bucks, well happy with it, but ask for serial number first and contact megger to see if its stolen.

it developed a fault last mont so i sent it to megger, they fixed it and sent new leads and plug lead as they give 3 years worth of free fixing