Need some advice on new server room

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says the main switch is capable of switching a 100A load, but the main fuse is rated at 80A. Not sure that would be good to add an extra 50A load onto. Did you have any form of written contract for this work? I find it hard to understand why you would get a second contractor in rather than getting the first one back to do the correct job at no additional cost to yourself.

Doc H.
Only reason I called a second guy was for a second opinion which I've now got from here. 

Obvoisly I've made the mistake of not going into a lot of detail about the circuit I didn't know it was needed I didn't even know there were this many things to consider for circuits.. 

the guy said it was all good... but then I got a bit paranoid and wanted second opinion.

the main house circuit is rated for 100a but tbh my actual house uses maybe at most 6a at any one time... most is the washing machine which is rarely on... my home utility bills are practically nothing... 

obviously that's about to change!

Simplistic explanation of IT leakage and RCD's;  The natural leakage part of IT equipment is related to the fact that the incoming mains supply is not stable. It has a percentage tolerance either side of 230V. Large banks of IT equipment can leak or dump some of these fluctuations, (quantity changes with supply variations), as part of their smoothing circuits to give stable supplies that are needed. But RCD's are there to protect against electric shock in the event of fault and they must detect very small amounts of current leaking though a body. So if you have large quantities of IT equipment, you would never put them all off a single RCD for risk of nuisance tripping of the RCD. Ideally individual RCD's or as small a group per RCD as far as costs permit. I can't see how any qualified electrician would fail to consider this point. There are even specific regulations regarding IT equipment and high integrity earths.  If you have a written agreement for the work stating you intend using the supply for It equipment I would think you have good grounds for a refund or free upgrade to something more suitable. 

Doc H.     

And no I don't tend to get written contracts for any jobs like this really other than the contractor writing down a list of things I want /need doing.

maybe another lesson learned.

i got a loft coversion 7 years ago in my old house... no contract for that either now that I think about it. Everything was ok tho

hope you dont have electric shower or cooker...

Gas 😀 And actually that's a good point about the shower... I don't even know what other types of shower there are? I don't even know if mine is electric or not

Standard guidance for more years than I can remember has always been to get three quotes for any significant work you proposing doing. That's where you would have had your second opinion before the work was done. And save redoing the same job twice and paying double what was needed originally.

Doc H.

good point kerch, looking at the image a bit closer and it is an EICR form, even has observation box at the bottom (no sure how i missed that earlier)

this just keeps getting better...

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a second phase ( or 3) maybe advisable depending on future use of warehouse.
Agreed, 11kW of servers plus a few lights and you're getting pretty close to your 50A already, without considering if you want to clean grilles with a vacuum cleaner or if this 11kW of servers might generate enough heat to need air con.

I may have missed something along the way as Mr Merlot has come a knocking but.....isn't this a PIR cert?, going off the number at the topView attachment 8063

Quite correct, so more likely some work has been done, (possibly DIY), then asked  A.N.Other to come in and certify it, So all they get is an EICR. No contract, No electrical certificate. Typical mess up from a half baked job. Can't see how any competent electrician would have done this work without correct design testing and certification.

Doc H.

LOL! You think I did this myself?? 

I went out for 10 mins and lost track of the thread.

the guy who wrote this cert did the work. He is an electrician from this area and has his details online!

i would never dare in a million years open that consumer unit based on the fact I know it's live. 

I was absolutely **** at the game of operation as a kid.. id see myself dead lol.

what do you mean by this cert? Is it not authentic? 

Standard guidance for more years than I can remember has always been to get three quotes for any significant work you proposing doing. That's where you would have had your second opinion before the work was done. And save redoing the same job twice and paying double what was needed originally.

Doc H.
I would normally do that for big jobs but honestly did not think it would be that difficult if a job to add a few sockets 

what do you mean by this cert? Is it not authentic? 

It would appear that the document you have is and Electrical Installation Condition report (EICR). which is used for providing the results and observations of an inspection and test of an existing electrical installation. It is never used for alterations or additions. The Bottom box on the page you copied refers to observations and remedial work recommended following the inspection. this sheet is a 'Report' not a 'Certificate'.

With any addition or alteration there will be no remedial work as the new work will have been done correctly to start with. The new work will have been designed, installed tested and then documented on an Electrical Installation certificate (EIC) or a Minor works certificate (MWC) if it doesn't involve adding new circuits. Both an 'MWC' and an 'EIC' have a signed declaration box by the person undertaking the work to verify compliance with BS7671 wiring regulations. And a full set of test results for all the circuits, sub-mains and supply characteristics.

Unfortunately the scenario you are describing doesn't match up with an EICR being issued, unless you have asked a third party to come along later to test and inspect someone else's work. It sounds more like a 'builders bodge up' or a 'DIY Job' without correct design, testing or certification.  Which is why several members are struggling to understand how your request for power for some computer servers has ended up with the arrangement you currently have.

Doc H. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would normally do that for big jobs but honestly did not think it would be that difficult if a job to add a few sockets 

That description is slightly different to your opening post, I would hardly call installing sub-main and final circuits to a server room just adding a few sockets.

Doc H.

11KW of servers on an RCD at 30mA................forget it. Even if it energises, one fart and its game over.

Suggest start again, consider input power cct, then a/c as 11KW will need some form of cooling unless you leave the doors open, lol

Earthing system, surge arrestors and of course at least enough UPS to give you time to shut down or use auto shutdown.

Good Luck

Your forgetting to me someone who isn't an electrician wouldn't know that adding an extra sub panel would be any more difficult than adding a few sockets..

hadnt even heard of earth leakage until you mentioned it. 

Im seriously shocked then if he hasn't done it right. Seriously this was new work that I asked to be done from scratch he even provided the sub panel. 

He wired the entire thing and all the sockets.

i didn't get this certificate on the day Btw I had to chase him via several times and eventually he said it was in the post. Received this in the post 2 days ago.

and I kept asking him for the electrical certificate. I kept pushing and even used the excuse as I need them to sell my property.

im a bloody idiot if I couldn't even sell my property with this report! 

I wont be calling him back then I'll be definitely going with someone else if that's the case. I'll be covered by the credit card I paid on

Oh wow actually... could he have not even done these tests and just made them up on the spot if he sent me this a week later??

I've been reading around and aparinately for 50a circuit you need atleast 6AWG wire which = 13mm2 so if Google is correct he hasn't even used big enough wire?

6 AWG is USA. Please select Google filter for UK sites only :^O

6mm cable, depending on what it is, could well be sufficient. Current carrying capacity varies with insulation type.